Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New here and I had a question. I was offered a 586-l comp but I prefer a 4 inch barrel. I was wondering comparison of the ported 3 inch to 586 4 inch. Felt recoil, muzzle rise etc. as I am a bit recoil sensative due to hand issues. I was even thinking of porting my 4 inch for this reason. Smith and Wesson said a barrel swap to 4 inch on the 586 l comp is not possible. True? So in the end, as I would like a blued seven rounder, deciding between the 586- l comp (a bit lighter) or having a cylinder swap on a 586. As an original 586 with 7 rounds is like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
A barrel swap should be possible, but it won't have a comp on it as there was just the one size barrel. Unlike bygone days where a customer could get all sorts of things done, S&W has become loath to do "mix and match" barrel swaps, and will just say things can't be done.

I now have arthritis in my shooting hand so I'm sensitive to recoil. I've found that it isn't so much the muzzle rise, but the rearward jarring that does me in, and the best medicine I've found for that is the recoil absorbing grips made for the S&W 500: X-Frame impact absorbing grips

They only fit a round butt grip frame, and they will fit smaller frames... I have them on my 4" bbl M69 L-Frame .44 magnum, and my 3" barrel 657 N-Frame.

I used to wear PAST shooting gloves at the range, which reduced the pain a bit, but those X-Frame grips worked much better.

Worth giving them a try first for only $38... cheaper than porting.

Reactions: jeepnut and bruce
1 - 3 of 3 Posts