Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Springfield 1911 I bought new in the late 80s. Thousands of rounds later the barrel link and pin are shot. The pin will come out under gravity and the link wobbles and will move up and down on the pin. Are these drop in items or are they 1911 expert only installation?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
albert, I've seen where you can buy several links of different lenghts and pins of different diameters. (all in the thousanths sp? of an inch).. Check in Brownells.

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
I just replaced the link and pin in my Springfield. Used Colt standard size blued parts and they did drop in. I also put in a new oversized bushing {that I fitted} and a new slide stop because I could feel a worn area running my fingernail over it. The bill, with shipping and NRA Round-up was less than $50. Yes, groups shrank.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
to remove a link pin and link should require a barrel fixture, the pin has to be driven out. If it removes easily then the barrel lug-holes are worn. Time for a new barrel.The different-sized links are to move the throat towards or away from the ramp and to put more pressure against the barrel locking-lugs to tighten fit.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, Is there something that can substitute for a barrel fixture? What does it do? Keep the lugs from cracking or bending?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The barrel lays in the fixture, supporting it with only the area right below the lugs deeper to catch the pin when driven out. They run about $20 in MidwayUSA's catalog. It supports most of the lugs surface. Oh, be sure to get a punch as close to pin diameter as possible without going over.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I received from Brownells my new link .278 which they say is Colt nominal and a Brownells pin .156. The pin was a beautiful slip fit in the link. So I installed them. The pin slipped in with light finger pressure except for the very last thousands which took a light tap from the handle of a screwdriver. Overall length of the pin fit flush with the barrel legs. Lock up seems fine. The downward play I used to feel while pushing the barrel thru the ejection port is gone. Now my question. Any check I should make before firing?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Al, work the action quickly about four or five times and check the pin,see if it hasn't backed out some. It shouldn't go in that easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts