Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am curious to know what revolvers you all carry and what barrel length. I have a smith and Wesson model 15 with a 6 inch barrel and would like to train with it and possibly eventually use it as my concealed carry. What are you thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
19,703 Posts
Not for CC, but OK for OC. Unless you wear a very long outer garment, how would you conceal a barrel that long?

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,800 Posts
It is doable with a vertical shoulder holster or a long untucked garment over a high ride belt holster depending on your stature. I witnessed a 5' 6" 130 pound guy conceal an 8 3/8" S&W 500 magnum in a shoulder holster under an over-sized zip up hoody sweatshirt. The butt was in his armpit and the muzzle was near the bottom of his jeans pocket.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
That will cause problems with that barrel length. You can get away with it, but unless your covering garment is really long the barrel is gonna stick out. Plus the Patridge sight would cause problems. The sharp edges will bite into the holster. It ain't impossible but I'd get one with a 4" or shorter barrel.
Just my thoughts after almost 35 years of concealed carry.:cool:
Jim

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
As mentioned .. a vertical shoulder holster will work especially if it breaks from the front. Outside of that .. you could have someone fashion you a horizontal behind the back holster if for some reason you have to carry that one.

The issue with 6in barrels is they take a loooonnnngggg time to break leather. Not to bad if you have something a bit low slung but for concealment you need to get it up.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
As others have said Impractical for CC but good for OC. To answer your other question I carry Model 60 snubby or J-Frame up to 3”.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 460V (5” barrel) and a 686 (5” barrel). The 460V weighs 4/12, while the 686 weighs 2/10 – neither one a light-weight. The 460V’s carried with a shoulder holster, while the 696 travels in a cross-draw belt-held holster. I’d think that the 6” barrel would work OK with a shoulder rig, but the long barrel could be abit problematic on a belt-held holster.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I like a lot of barrel, but I prefer no more than about 4 inches on daily carry. 3 is better concealed. That's just me. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
12,660 Posts
It's a nice revolver. Don't change it a bit. Cherish it. Use it for what it was designed for. It's an outstanding target pistol.

For the money you'll spend changing it, you could easily have most of the cost of a much better handgun for concealed carry. Whether your preference is a revolver or a semi-auto pistol, changing the barrel won't do a thing to make your "K" frame into a "J" frame, or let it conceal with less width and obvious grip protrusion.

Before you do anything, why not actually take a concealed carry or basic pistol class? They'll teach you the characteristics of a good handgun with features much more ideal for concealed carry.

My personal choice would be a M&P 9C (compact, double stack) or a M&P 9 Shield (very compact, single stack) with a kydex IWB holster that will keep the gun from falling out, yet allow very easy and controlled draw and one hand re-insertion.

Marc

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very good advise Marc and I understand the semiauto reference seeing that I usually carry a M&P 9C over my 66-2 but if this person really wants a revolver for carry there are several availible at fair prices 342, M&P bodyguard 380, model 60 .357 and if you want a 4 inch barrel surplus model 10's can be had at 300.00 or less. Take a look at the video mid size revolvers for carry by Lucky Gunner on youtube follow the link https://youtu.be/e35upk8tfxu

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
I never CC anything longer than 3" bbl.... & I almost always CC. I prefer 1 7/8" bbl.. W/ practice & proper sights I can hit kill zone out to 100 yards (for the record I've been shooting & practicing for several decades).

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,800 Posts
My conceal carry revolvers are a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum, a 4.2" Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm, or a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum carried in a leather pancake style holster on my belt covered by an untucked garment.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I carry a 4” N frame on a daily basis. Most will tell you it can not be done. Okay, it can’t. With a proper belt and holster it is done. Would i carry a 6” barreled sidearm? Probably not. Could it be done? With the right set up, sure. The holster n that photo would not work for me. I would want something that draws through the front, not up and out. I would want the cylinder above my belt. Some additional height would be appreciated but I seem to be going in the opposite direction.

Best of luck. Save a bit and get a 4”, Model 15.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 41 Posts