Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reloading for a smidge over 25 years. All of my pistol reloading has been 45 Colt, 9mm, 40S&W, 38/357, 44 Mag and 45 ACP, but this little 380 is new to me.

I've been busy loading and shooting Missouri Bullet Co. 95gr cast boolits in front of 2.6gr of Win 231 for a couple of weeks now, but have recently purchased some Barnes TAC-XP FB 80gr hollow points.

Seems the only real data I can find is for Ramshot powder, and although I like to support Montana business, I don't want to buy a pound of another kind of powder when I've got others that should be certainly suitable. I'd like to use 231, but cannot find any data for these particular pills. I've got an idea that 2.6gr of 231 works well with just about everything from 80gr to 100gr bullets, but I sure would like to narrow that down a bit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I've been looking and the closest data I found is for 90gr. bullets using RedDot, Unique, and Herco - (Ken Waters' Pet Loads).

Remember the good ol' days when most of the bullet manufacturers would include a loading data sheet for the bullets you just bought? Now they want to sell you their latest loading manual... :)

xtm

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get leary of using loads across the board for anything that falls into the grain weight. Not sure why, but I always seem to see that Gold Dot loads are different than other loads for pills that weigh the same. Not sure why.

These are solid copper, no lead, so I can't imagine why I couldn't go with powder weights for other 90 grainers.

I'm really curious to know why the only data I could find on the Barnes website was for Ramshot. I've used their Enforcer powder, but you'd think they'd have data for well known powders. I was under the assumption that most folks have not even heard of Ramshot as I've never seen it mentioned on any gun boards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts