Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to believe you can have a bad day shooting but this one was terrible.

I was chronographing my loads and after two great results I pulled out the third moon that I loaded with 160 grain bullets in my 929. The very first round blew apart my cylinder. It's now back at Smith & Wesson so they can figure out what caused the problem.

I get all sorts of answers when I posts it. cylinder-3.gif

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Dang,

Glad you're ok. I'm sure S&W will claim it's an ammo related problem, even if it wasn't. As soon as you say "handload", they throw up their hands and walk away.

And you're right, that is a BAD day at the range.

·
Registered
19,552 Posts
Handloading can have it's pitfalls. That's why I don't handload. I mostly use new ammo. But, once in a while, I buy commercial reloads. Better safe than sorry. ;) Bob

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
Agree. Hope you are fine.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Just found your post. Thankful you are not injured. Regret that your revolver is ruined. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Good Heck! I hope you're OK? Guns can be replaced. Let us know what S&W finds to be wrong. I think it's a 1/2 charge of powder or less. With a short charge you get 3 ignitions not two. Gas peaks way too high. This happened to me 30+ years ago. S&W fixed my 29, also sent a sour letter. I hope you get shooting soon! Glad yer OK!

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
Dang, that's bad news, but like the others, REALLY glad you weren't injured!
+1 here, too. Nasty looking cylinder! Looks like the frame survived OK? Hope S&W treats you right!

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
Questions with observations, not accusations.

I was chronographing my loads and after two great results I pulled out the third moon that I loaded with 160 grain bullets in my 929
160 grain pills in a 9mm? Isn't that heavy for a 9MM? In the photo, I see there are two bullets still in the cylinder, one to the left, and the other to the right, but no casings. Did you get secondary detonations?

Most of all, I'm glad you're okay.
I look forward to hear what S&W does. My guess is nothing, other than offering to sell you another 929 and a small discounted price. My gut says they're going to blame your ammo, since it sounds like these were home loads.
I'm also inclined to believe that they'll tell you because so much pressure damaged the cylinder it's unsafe to use the frame any longer. So they'll tell you the pistol is completely unrepairable.

I recently had a malfuntion to my Tommy Gun and it's going to cost me nearly $800 to fix it. And that was all done with a single shot of factory ammo.

I wish you well.
Gregory

·
Banned
732 Posts
I think it's a 1/2 charge of powder or less. With a short charge you get 3 ignitions not two. Gas peaks way too high. This happened to me 30+ years ago

I doubt it. NOBODY HAS EVER been able to duplicate this under laboratory conditions in a conventional handgun round. This includes very low charges of Bullseye in .38 Special wadcutter target loads which were supposedly notorious for detonation issues. As I have mentioned previously, this occurrence became so common that the NRA's Technical Committee commissioned the H.P. White ballistics lab to investigate this. They could never duplicate the event. Furthermore, they calculated the total amount of energy available from these small charges of Bullseye and found that even if the entire charge ignited simultaneously, there was not enough to cause a catastrophic failure.

Bruce

P.S. I'm just curious. Where these reloads constructed on a progressive press? What was the powder charge and will a double charge fit in a case with a properly seated bullet?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well, there's only one answer that bodes well for you, a defective cylinder.

The only other answer is obviously too much pressure, but what caused that is undeterminable at this point and can only be speculated. However, if I were you and if you have any more reloads from that batch, it's time to weigh and/or pull them while you wait to hear from S&W.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The other two cases were split in half and there was no powder spill so they could have detonated. That would explain those two cylinders splitting as well as the next two.

It's been only a week but I still haven't heard from Smith & Wesson. I did call to make sure they got the gun and they did. It's in the hopper waiting to get worked on.

Frame is gone as well, the top strap didn't blow but sure got bent. Also bent my scope mount and broke my C-More in half.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts