Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like pretty much everyone else, I've been partaking in the knives of the new age, such as the assisted openers by Kershaw, or Benchmade, and a few others. Great knives, without a doubt, but I find them to be thin. I've slowly discovered the tips are easily bent, the edges nicked, and the overall thickness (lack of it) bothers me, in that my hand sometimes slips just a little bit toward that near razor sharp edge. The Kershaws especially are awfully thin knives, aren't they? The paradox ofI like them but I don't.
Well, anyhow, its back to the basics for me. I have a pair of new Buck folders, the classic 110 hunter and the 112 ranger for a slightly smaller package (actually I think the ranger makes a great choice for everyday carry). The ranger is a replacement for a 1970s era ranger I got new back then, when I was a teen, I like the new finger grooves and the rounded edges a lot. The ranger will be be carried in a custom belt sheath that opens the blade fully and locks it as the knife is drawn from the sheath, so I'll still have the benefit of one handed deployment. I want to go back to the beefiness of this type of knife, and I frankly want something I know I can abuse without worrying. Through sheet metal or a can, through a bone, smaller jobs with ease. I've used my old ranger as a hammer, a chisel, a bone axe, a prybar, and more, multiple times each, abuse that I think would quickly destroy my Kershaws or Benchmades. And it doesn't slip that little, alarming bit, in my hand like those new knives do too often.
So its back to the Buck for me. Those Buck knives are probably about the overall best knife there is for the money.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I'm pretty rough on pocket knives.... I use them and loose them. Alot.

And I'm pissed with SOG. Just when I got used to the AutoClip, a pretty well made production knife for under $75, they discontinued it. I lost the second to last one to a gal pal of mine in Alaska who borrowed it to guy her first King Salmon, and wouldn't give it back.

The last one I had broke the pocket clip and SOG tells me that they don't make or service them anymore.... I was jacked. Bad.

So I tried the SOG TWITCH series. Okay, but not really. Finally I find a Browning Pocket Folder I like and guess what? No sooner did I decide I'd buy a couple more and I find.... you guessed it.... discontinued.

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
Drew, Isn't that the rule? If you get something good, you either lose it or break it. I've lost a bunch of better quality pocket knives in the rocks and undergrowth of trout streams, over the years. But, the one that I can't seem to lose....is a 50 y.o. Sears Craftsman Barlow that I paid $2 for. It's the one that I always carry in a belt sheath..........since it must be my lucky knife!!!! I keep my better pocket knives at home, in a drawer. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Growing up, I had a Scrade Old Timer "Little Finger" strapped on my belt when I did chores. Cut a lot of twine with that thing, but ended up losing it after I got in the service. :(

I recently had a fit of nostalgia and after having a hard time finding an original (and not wanting to pay a lot), I bought a Schrade Little Finger off the web. Doesn't seem to be quite the same, but it'll do. It's just the handiest darn knife I've used.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
My problem with the Bucks [ yes I own 2 ] is they are not pocket friendly - and I have been EDCing a lock blade in my RR pocket for about 50 years.I now carry a Brad Duncan flipper [ 5"] in that pocket or a Benchmade skirmish.And just found a Benchmade assisted opener that is FAST and sturdy too.It is the Osborne and I really like it.I really like and use a clip and the Buck dont have that ability.Glad your happy with an ol timer.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
LeMat said:
Growing up, I had a Scrade Old Timer "Little Finger" strapped on my belt when I did chores. Cut a lot of twine with that thing, but ended up losing it after I got in the service. :(

I recently had a fit of nostalgia and after having a hard time finding an original (and not wanting to pay a lot), I bought a Schrade Little Finger off the web. Doesn't seem to be quite the same, but it'll do. It's just the handiest darn knife I've used.

I've got two of them in my collection, both USA made. I for one hated to see Schrade, and Camillus fold.

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
I used to carry a larger lok-back folder in my back pocket, and put up with the PITA every tme I sat down. I finally got a belt sheath from Uncle Mike's. MUCH BETTER!!!! It's meant to hold a .22 magazine......but it fits my knife, too. Perfect for my Wather P22 extra mag. too. And it is pretty handy. Bob

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have to say that the Kershaw Storm II is the best knife I have EDC'd. It has and holds an amazing edge, does not slip in my hands, is fairly light weight for its size, and is not bulky at all. The down side, I am scared to death to pry with it. If I need a knife to function as a hammer, pry bar, saw, and knife, I go o my trusted Ontario Pilot survival knife...

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Man, that Boker is fine! :lol:

Hey Leighton, what is the knife in the bottom right corner of the last picture? I really like the looks of that.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
LeMat said:
Man, that Boker is fine! :lol:

Hey Leighton, what is the knife in the bottom right corner of the last picture? I really like the looks of that.
Schrade PH-1 Hunter USA made. Yes that Boker is sweet, and I didn't realize just how old it was till I got it. I don't think the new ones have the concave back. Again thank you very much for her!!!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Leighton said:
Yes that Boker is sweet, and I didn't realize just how old it was till I got it. I don't think the new ones have the concave back. Again thank you very much for her!!!
Well, thank you for giving it a good home. Couldn't have gone to a better one. ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Leighton, about that middle picture, the knife in the very last row, lower right which appears to be all metal: is that the enlisted man's version of the VSAK? I know the EM's version is all metal, while the red-handled one is for officers, right?

Either way, they're great knives.

FWIW I also have three Bucks around here somewhere, including a well-used Buck Stockman which gave excellent service.

But for my money, the best deal going for an all-purpose daily working knife still is the VSAK Tinker, a model of which rides in my left pocket right now as I write this. I admit being partial to the 'pocket tool box' sort of knife, and I wouldn't be without the VSAK unless I gotta wear a coat and tie or something -- and that don't happen much any more (thank God!)

Great thread!

Bill

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Bill, No, thats actually made by Camillus for the US military, and has been an issue knife since the 50's. You can find these marked US, USMC, USN.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Leighton said:
Bill, No, thats actually made by Camillus for the US military, and has been an issue knife since the 50's. You can find these marked US, USMC, USN.
Hmm...I don't recall they ever issued me one in the US Army, mid- to late 60s. If they had, I would have brought it home, if possible.

Bill

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Smithfan said:
Leighton said:
Hmm...I don't recall they ever issued me one in the US Army, mid- to late 60s. If they had, I would have brought it home, if possible.

Bill
Bill, You never threatened your supply Sgt.!!!!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have a few of those issued Camillus knifes. In the Navy we had a couple types of them. One was called a TL-29 and One was a TL-30. One was like the one Leighton posted and the other had a Black handle. I do not recall which was which. Same basic knife. Best thing about them was the bottle and can opener. Although they are a pretty good knife.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Leighton said:
LeMat said:

I've got two of them in my collection, both USA made. I for one hated to see Schrade, and Camillus fold.
Here's another vote for the discontinued Schrade/Old Timer "Little Finger". I've got 3 of 'em. Bought the first one back in the 80's and found out what a great little knife it is ( I've gutted deer, used it on all kinds of small game, birds and fish )...... it's just a great little knife. Like Drew, I'm also prone to lose knives and because of that I picked up 2 more of the "Little Fingers" as I came across them...........I just wanted to be sure I had a back-up if I lost one.

Don

1 - 20 of 21 Posts