Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 days total. 2 out, 4 hunting, 2 back. 1100 miles each way. Hunted in Cherry County, Nebraska with Jim Buer outfitters. Shot a nice Mule Deer buck, about 180 pounds hanging weight on the last day (evening) of the hunt (cut it close as season closed that evening). About 130 yards with my Pierce built 308 sending 168 Bergers in Lapua brass (hand loads), jumped 035 off the lands. Rifle shoots 1" groups at 2009 yards (so long as I do my part everything is good).

Had a young lady (outfitter's daughter) for my guide and she can field dress a deer like a good outfitter guide can.

I must say it was a fantastic hunt.

Because I shot the buck on the last hunt on the last season day, I donated the meat and I'm having a taxidermist in Burton, Nebraska do a cape mount for me. Should be done around April.

After cancer, this was my 'Legacy' hunt.

Hopefully, I'll shoot a doe locally for the freezer

Attachments

·
Registered
16,643 Posts
That one is a nice one and glad you did get one. Sounds like a good hunt and some great people to work with you.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Congrats mate..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant 200 yards, not 2009 yards. Don't have anything that will shoot that far... lol 338 will go 1500 on a good day. Not bad considering I'm having eye issues (from the chemo). My left eye is screwed up but I shoot with my right anyway. Had a helluva time glassing deer. My Swaro bino's are fantastic but I was kind of limited to one eye, cannot really see with my left but soon to be fixed (I hope). Waiting for the eye doctor to give me the ok for a lens replacement.

Was my 'test' hunt to see of I still had the moxey to do it. I do. I've come a long way from last fall / winter when I didn't think I'd ever be able to pursue my passion, hunting.

I cannot recommend Buer Ranch and Jim Buer enough. Everyone went out of their way to make sure my hunt was successful. Good food, excellent digs, stayed in a log cabin with 6 bedrooms, 2 baths, full kitchen and very comfortable. Outfitter provided all the meals, handled the deer, transportation to and from the hunting ground and all the hunt areas were private, leased ground.

I'd go there again in a minute (and probably will in the future, God willing).

I'd like to take one of the monster Whitetail bucks they have, but for now, this 8 point will be residing beside my Montana 6 point non-typical Mule Deer I took 4 years ago in Broadus, Montana.

Sure would like to pull a Maine Moose tag this upcoming year. I have quite a few preference points in Maine. That wpu;d be the hunt of a lifetime for me.

I'll be in a box blind on Friday and Saturday locally, hopefully filling my doe tag for the freezer.

Quite a year for me. Not going to let any 'grass grow under my hunting boots' anytime soon. I plan on hunting every fall / winter I can in as many states as I can.

Now everyone can see my ugly mug too. Ain't I charming... What an ugly mug.....:D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Really Nice Buck !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts