Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Axe me, no, hatchet.

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rimfired 
#1 ·
My two survivors from Scouts in the early 60's.
The red is a Bridgeport and the other a True Temper.

See less See more
G
#4 ·
Actually, there are collections out there based on all the variants of the Boys Scouts hatchets. You'd be pretty amazed at all the types...

Can remember having the top one as a kid, think my grandmother got it for me for Xmas one year. First thing I did was cut my thumb on it. Dang thing was sharp...and I wasn't... :mrgreen:

giz

#5 ·
I still have my Boy Scout hatchet.....just like the bottom one (True-Temper). Mine is in a similar condition and I still use it. It lives in my truck and is used for lots of different chores while hunting and camping.

By the way, I really enjoyed the scouting experience....Eagle Scout, Philmont, Explorers, Order of the Arrow, etc.....

Don

#6 ·
Here is an earlier Bridgeport Scout Hatchet from the late 1920s. It remains in service and rides in the tool box of my pickup. My Pop was a Boy Scout ~1927-1933. Also, here's one of his membership cards - from 1930. I was a scout, too - and so was my son. Since they are so unjustifiably criticized and much maligned, we should all support the local troop however we can. Mrs. xtm and I both remain as advisers for several merit badges, and son Forrest is one of the scout leaders for the troop at Hill AFB in Ogden, Utah. I've even noticed that he carries his Eagle Scout card opposite the Military ID in his wallet.

P.S. - Boy Scouts aren't even allowed to use a hatchet or axe these days!

xtm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.