Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what I saw this afternoon at my local gun shop. I went in to try to catch the gunsmith and talk about the 45-70 bolt gun idea I've been kicking around. There was a man there, dropping off an old Luger to see what could be done with it. Skip, the 'smith says look Shaun, look what somebody did to this old Luger. I stepped in closer and he told me the gun dates to 1918 and has the numbers matching magazine. Someone had welded the chamber and the end of the barrel so it was unshootable. :eek: I didn't get a chance to ask him what could be done about it. Just a shame.

Speaking of a shame, just after that was a young lady trying to sell her dead father's old Manlicher Shoenauer rifle for a couple hundred dollars for a security deposit on an apartment. Her old man had modified it by drilling the receiver and attaching a side mount scope base to it. She didn't have the scope but thought she might be able to find it. It had the full International stock and was something in the 9mm range but they could not tell from the markings on the rifle, I guess. As I was leaving, the Smith was taking the rifle upstairs to his workshop to determine the caliber. Apparently the bore was full of rust as well. It was kind of sad to watch this play out. I would have liked to offer her $300 for the gun but that is not good etiquette. It sounded like they were going to try to sell it for her on consignment. It looked like this:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
My nieghbor who I just met last month tells me about how he is looking for a nice 22 revolver.He tells me he bought one at a yard sale for 100 bucks a couple years ago but its messed up. He says it needed to be reblued so he used something I forget what he told me on it and it made the cylinder where he couldnt open it.He says the gun shot real well before he tried to strip the blueing.So he takes it to a local gun smith and I have doubts about his story but this is what he says. The smith kept it for about three months and when he went back to get it the screw that holds the crane is is missing but the cylinder opens.
I said it has a swing out cylinder and he says yeah I will go get it.
He comes out with a 32-22 with pristine grips on it. The berkart type.He hands me the gun and the crane just slides on and off with no screw.I mess around a little with it and see the cylinder sits cockeyed and touches the forcing cone in one spot.Judging from the condition of the grips the blueing must not have been that bad but didnt ask him.I looked the gun over pretty good and cannot figure if the frame is bent or the crane. I looked the ejector rod over and it looks straight.
I am tempted to make him a offer on it and see if I could get it back in shape. The collector value is shot because he stripped it but it could be made into a nice little gun if the frame isnt bent.
Just makes me sick to think the guy ruined it like he did.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Unfortunately, some people don't take pride in what they have. Some people think that a gun is only good for plinking out in the woods, or worse yet, for holding up their favorite liquor store. We know the truth... each one is a beautiful work of art, a tool, a weapon, and a treasured possession.
I am sure that we each treat something else in a way that would make others cringe! Thanks for posting Shaun...

·
Registered
600 Posts
A couple of months ago at a gunshow I saw a nickel N frame sitting on a table that didn't look right. I went over and picked it up and an older gent said that there is a 41 mag. I said I see, I popped open the cylinder and it was marked 58. It was in great condition apart where someone cut and machined the top strap to accept an adjustable blue sight(not S&W) that ran all the way to the tip of the barrel. It made you think how someone could spend time and money doing this. thepuke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.