Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...my name is Mark and I like my Taurus revolvers. :shock: Back a few years ago when I wasn't quite so gun snobish I bought 2 Taurus revolvers. My first was a 617, a SS 7 shot .357 with a ported 2" barrel. My second was the Taurus Tracker in .41 magnum (those that know me know I am a .41 nut, and at the time I couldn't afford a 57 or 58.)

In my opinion, the Tracker is everything that Smith should have built. A five shot 4" SS gun on a K sized frame. I will admit that the trigger on this gun sucked out of the box, but a $50 trigger job later and all is well. The rear sight is a bit big for my liking, but is very usable. This gun has swallowed up everything I've ever stuffed in it without any issues. It even survived a dip into a brook one December morning while I was running my trap line. It came out a bit gritty (sandy bottom) but cleaned up fine. At that point I was glad it wasn't a Smith! ;)

The 617 I bought the day my first son was born. They still make a 617, but now only in Titanium. Mine is the SS version. I shot it a few times and put it in the safe when I got a 2 1/2" 66. I brought it to the plate range the other day and was reminded what a joy this gun it. It shoots every bit as well as the 66, and maybe even better. The trigger on this one was smooth and crisp out of the box, and it uses the same speedloaders as the S&W 587. Even though the cylinder is a bit fatter, given the 7 shots, it fits into all my K frame holsters.

Would I buy these guns today? Well, I'd probably buy a Hi Point if they made one in .41 :lol: , but likely not. These days my tastes have changed to the less common Smiths and Colt 1911s. But...these Tauruses are damn fine guns, and I am secure enough in my manhood to admit I own a couple.

G

·
0 Posts
Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery :mrgreen:

giz

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
I had a Tracker once, in 45 acp. Not a bad gun..

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've been there too. I think Taurus did a lot of different gun/caliber combinations other gun makers could not afford or simply had no interest in making. I like the five shot 44 mags and 45 colts which I always thought was a good idea, Smith doesn't. They also got 8 rnds to fit in a 357, 9 in a 22. They were using calibers other's deemed as dead(41 mag) for their new revolvers. It is also true Taurus was there for me also when money was tight. There is no shame, but we will still get made fun of from time to time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Who said you had any friends? ;)

Taurus makes some good guns and some bad ones. The only problem I've heard of lately is that since Braztec took over, customer service has suffered. I DO NOT know if that's true. We have several in the extended family, and I taught my daughter how to shoot with a 3" blue .22. I don't remember the model number off hand. My mom has one as a house gun, and back when I was writing for gun rags, several Tauri were purchased instead of sent back.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also had a Tracker once in .44 Mag, I liked it, the trading bug got me & it's gone they aren't bad guns. Frank

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I don't know.......buy what you want, like what you buy. But, while I might buy a Ruger.....I could never....well.... never mind!!! :roll: Bob

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I've got more than my share of S&W's for my wife to choose from, but her absolute favorite every day carry is a .38 spl. Spectrum Blue Total Titanium Taurus M-851 "Protector" (clone of S&W Bodyguard).

It's finish is a bright cobolt blue resembling the bone bluing of Colt's by gone days. It's wears pearl boot grips and sports a gold trigger, hammer and grip screws.

It's "looks" are difinitely feminine (or fit for a "Nawlins Pimp" weiweinp ), but don't tell her that.

In the last 5 years It's devoured over 2,000 rds of mostly 158 gr. LSWC's with nary a problem.

The most recent Taurus to my gun safe is a 9mm PT111 Millennium Pro which has replaced my Glock 19.
It's a smaller hi-cap piece of combat Tupperware that fits my hand better, is totally reliable and accurate.

So...to any gun snobs I run into I just say, each to his own, my "Non-Smiths" are working out just fine!

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Barb's Taurus Model 85 never had a problem and served her well when she worked in downtown Phoenix
It gave both of us some peace of mind

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've inherited a PT1911 I'm coming to admire.....we'll see what the next 1000 rounds do to a growing respect for their features....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts