Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was going to the range this morning anyway, I tossed a 1994 Taurus 66 that had been gathering dust into my range bag. This is one of the "old" guns, blue with wood grips. A dead ringer externally for a Model 19. After I got through with the Python and 357 ammo, I pulled out the Taurus that I'd never fired and fired about 50 rounds of my 38 reloads through it. Good shooting gun. Nothing really special, just a decent, sold shooting revolver.

Taurus66.jpg

Taurus66a.jpg

I love the grips on these guns.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do this just to drive me crazy don't you? ;) don't ask me to fix it when (not if) it breaks. Make a good fishing weight.... :)
Who? ME? oifNGF

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Nice looking gun! The top strap looks pretty beefy. I have never owned a Taurus but a friend had the 44 mag tracker and loved it. I shot it a few times and it was a pretty soft shooter but it had the ribbed grips on it.

Is the frame more K or more L frame?

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Wow ... are the Taurus models really that crummy?

A few folks have older Taurus that seem to keep functioning, newer ones seem to break regularly. I've had 3, 2 revolvers & an auto, all 3 jammed up regularly. Parts are not available, period. The lifetime warranty is worthless, they come back in horrible shape. I want guns & vehicles I can depend on since my life & those I love may is important. I will never own or work on another POS Taurus.

·
Banned
1,974 Posts
My 82 (made i 2017 I believe) has never given me any problems. The 85 as I've mentioned before broke first day at range. And Taurus took nearly 3 months to replace everything with "trigger' in it (trigger, trigger spring, trigger guard, etc). Seems to function now. They no longer make either.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
392 Posts
A few folks have older Taurus that seem to keep functioning, newer ones seem to break regularly. I've had 3, 2 revolvers & an auto, all 3 jammed up regularly. Parts are not available, period. The lifetime warranty is worthless, they come back in horrible shape. I want guns & vehicles I can depend on since my life & those I love may is important. I will never own or work on another POS Taurus.
I sold the mid 70s Taurus Model 84 revolver that worked fine that caused me to buy 5 Taurus in the last 5 hears. I have 2 revolvers and 3 semi-automatics that don't jam, are reliable and go bang every time I pull the trigger. The early ones were reliable and those made in the last few years are reliable. The last 2 I bought last year (Spectrum and 856) work well and have a very good fit and finish. Based on the gun basher's statements, I was going to buy them until I got a bad one but I gave up on getting a bad one.

·
Registered
17,456 Posts
I have not had any semis but had a Taurus model 65 from 1975 when S&W and Taurus were jointly owned. It has been very reliable and my brother is still using it. He bought a newer Tracker in 44 mag and it had to go back for repair due to lost timing. Got it back and no problems since (4 years). Maybe just lucky, not sure but have some of their rifles and they are all good. Sounds like that one shot very good for you.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The second or third handgun I ever bought was a Taurus...84, I think that was the model number. Think HB Model 10. That's what it looked like. That thing shot the lights out with my Lee Loader wadcutters. I mean it was great. It had the ugliest grips I've ever seen...they looked like someone hacked them out of a 2X4 with a hatchet, but they worked...especially after I added a T-grip.

I've owned probably a dozen or more over the years. 22, 38, 357, 44 magnum. I'll buy them, shoot them for a while, then move them along for some other bright shiny thing. And contrary to popular belief, I never have any trouble selling them, usually for what I paid for them. Now, I freely admit that I've never pounded one with thousands of rounds, but I shoot them just as much as I do any gun...except that Model 84. I shot the pee out of that one.

I don't use them to defend my life. Hell, I've only got one gun I use to defend my life, and that's a Colt Cobra. The rest of them are range toys. Something to punch holes in a piece of paper once in a while. If one was to break, big deal. I'll reach into the safe and pull out another one. If I can get the broken one fixed...great...if not, I've got a paperweight, and a story. So far, I've never had one break. Not even my Hi-Point. :)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I have told this story a few times on this forum. I had a Taurus .17 HMR revolver. Right out of the box it would freeze up. The cylinder wouldn’t not rotate after 5 or 6 rounds. I sent it back and after a few weeks it was returned to me “fixed”. Back to the range and the very same problem. I called the company and sent it back. After 6 or eight weeks they sent me a letter saying it couldn’t be fixed and they would send me a 22 revolver to replace it. The factory couldn’t fix it. That was enough for me. I sold all of my Taurus’s and I will never have another one.

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
Yes.

I'm occasionally assured that some of them do, in fact, function well, but...

Many places can make metal and fashion them into functioning firearms.

Few places can craft them into heirlooms.

That's why I like older Smith and Wesson revolvers. While labor intensive, they also supported development of a staff of skilled gunsmiths for apprenticeships, routine work and every once in a while the skills of a craftsman with great pride in their work.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have a total of 3 Taurus revolvers, and 3 Taurus semi-autos. Zero issues with any of them.
Some of us seem to be unbelievably lucky with our junk Taurus guns. Even some of us who have zero luck of any other kind... :rolleyes:
I also have two equally terrible Ross revolvers and two of their horrible lever actions.
Never a problem with any of those either.

·
Super Moderator
32,484 Posts
We only have this one:

.45 Colt, no issues and makes a handy keep in the kitchen cabinet and low enough for me to reach kitchen pistol, I am short. We also keep some snake shot in case of the occasional venomous viper.

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
Are you intimating you want to buy it?.....:D

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
We only have this one:

.45 Colt, no issues and makes a handy keep in the kitchen cabinet and low enough for me to reach kitchen pistol, I am short. We also keep some snake shot in case of the occasional venomous viper.
Nothing wrong with being short... The Air is healthier down there....

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Taurus...

I bought a Taurus .22, new from my dealer, that was locked up from the factory...could not pull trigger or cock hammer. Took it back and got a refund without firing a shot.

My only Taurus is a 44 Special. I bought it because it was, 1. my fav calibre, 2. it was cheap, 3. I use it only to test new loads. So far it has functioned ok but I will not depend on it.

Taurus 445.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts