Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,612 Posts
Serial number will be on the butt of the frame. Looks like maybe you will need to remove the grips to see it.. that is an assembly number

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so very much. I have had this beauty for thirty years and never noticed numbers except for those pictured. A complete idiot!! Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
I did some bracketing using known ship dates of pre-27s and your .357 Magnum shipped between July and December 1953. S&W deleted the upper sideplate screw in 1956 and ordered model numbering in 1957, although actual model numbers on guns didn't show up until 1958. I recommend purchasing an historian's letter of authenticity from the S&W Historical Foundation. They are $100 and will return that to you if you decide to sell the gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did some bracketing using known ship dates of pre-27s and your .357 Magnum shipped between July and December 1953. S&W deleted the upper sideplate screw in 1956 and ordered model numbering in 1957, although actual model numbers on guns didn't show up until 1958. I recommend purchasing an historian's letter of authenticity from the S&W Historical Foundation. They are $100 and will return that to you if you decide to sell the gun.
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. I will get busy on ordering the letter. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I bought a pair on eBay a while back. Also bought a pair from a blue forum member. They are not inexpensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts