Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there a way to tell from the rebuild # where or who did the work. Also did S&W rebuild these then
sell them on the civilian market.
Cliff

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
to my knowledge, S&W didnt get involved in a 'rebuild' program on anything, They made new weapons and sold them .
there were alot of 1917's made that were not sold to the gov, and were sold to consumers as a commercial version, there were also a number of frames that were available that were used in later offerings - but these were new frames not reclaimed...

they obviously did service work on individual guns of course.. but i would expect govt armories would do their own refurb of guns in service.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
In the sense that AA=Augusta Arsenal or RIA=Rock Island Arsenal, occasionally gun were re-serialed generally with an X prefix. Re-build numbers per se I am not familiar with.

In the Commonwealth one sees FTR for Factory Thorough Repair sometimes with dating. (Not a M1917).

We are talking WWI weapons refurbed for WWII. Perhaps Wiregrass or Absolam can shed further light.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I know nothing about the commercial 1917s. The military 1917s were refurbished and maintained continuously starting in 1920 right through 1945. Charles Pate has a chronological table in his book. He has a whole chapter just on the 1917; if you‘re seriously interested, you really need to get or borrow the book.

The primary arsenal for this was Springfield Armory, for both the S&W and Colt 1917 versions; they actually manufactured some parts themselves, including barrels. Rock Island and Augusta also did some work. Markings are apparently sporadic as Waidmann mentioned, AA, RIA, etc, I‘m not sure what a rebuild number is supposed to be either.

They stayed in the US inventory and were re-issued for WW II, both for US use and supplied to Britain. And as the war ended, in 1945, Army Ordnance contracted with both Colt and S&W to once again have large batches factory-overhauled, again for the US Army. Pate mentions a shipment by Army Ordnance of 52,000 Model 1917‘s to the Far East for some classified project in 1949. So I don‘t think the factory ever got any of those back to sell commercially.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1st, thanks for your replies and info. I've decided some life lessons are free but this 1917 lesson was twice the price. Here are a couple of pics of the numbers on the 45. One flaming
Bomb on the left above the hammer. This gun has the tiny s-2 inspectors stamps and the rebuild #s stamped on it. The larger #s are in 3 places, the barrel flat, the frame and the crane. I think the barrel was replaced. It's bore looks nearly perfect. The S&W DA 45is on the left side of the barrel. It has no markings on the grip frame that would show who did the work. It was an expensive lesson but it is a very good shooter. If I live long enough I'll get my money's worth. One other point I'll ask about, this gun has the shortest DA of any gun I own. I like it.
Cliff

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ccah

·
Registered
286 Posts
1st, thanks for your replies and info. I've decided some life lessons are free but this 1917 lesson was twice the price. Here are a couple of pics of the numbers on the 45. One flaming
Bomb on the left above the hammer. This gun has the tiny s-2 inspectors stamps and the rebuild #s stamped on it. The larger #s are in 3 places, the barrel flat, the frame and the crane. I think the barrel was replaced. It's bore looks nearly perfect. The S&W DA 45is on the left side of the barrel. It has no markings on the grip frame that would show who did the work. It was an expensive lesson but it is a very good shooter. If I live long enough I'll get my money's worth. One other point I'll ask about, this gun has the shortest DA of any gun I own. I like it.
Cliff
View attachment 465139
View attachment 465139 View attachment 465140 View attachment 465139 Ccah
Cliff

If Smith and Wesson did any rework or refinish to a firearm they would have stamped the date and the work done on the grip frame. No stamps on grip frame, no work done by S&W.
View attachment 465139
View attachment 465139 View attachment 465140 View attachment 465139 Ccah

1 - 8 of 8 Posts