Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planned on using the same Coated lead bullets

That I use for 10mm to run in the new Sig 229 .40. The bullets are plenty hard and I have run them hot without issue but then started thinking .. will the coating foul up the feed ramp? Are there other potential issues?

I have never used coated lead for semi auto

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Going to load a few .40,s tomorrow and see how they run

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well in case anyone is interested... loaded up about 20 rds of 40 S&W using 180 gr coated bullets from DG bullets, 6 grains of longshot and small magnum primers (I only have CCI 550's in small primers at the moment)

Worked without a hitch!! Felt a bit more stout than the 180gr S&B factory but .. no leading no nonsense and as accurate as I could shot them.

Awesome!! Now I am pretty much down to 158gr for 38/357 and 180gr for 40 and 10mm. Makes buying bullets easier and saves a tiny bit of money since I can by larger quantities since I am down to buying just 2 bullets for reloading.

I still have a little plastic 9mm but I only shot it sporadically as a toy and 9mm when available is still pretty cheap. While I am hooked up to reload it .. I still have some 600 rds of factory range stuff around

·
Premium Member
10,427 Posts
I tried and no longer will load or shoot coated bullets.

They fouled my reloading dies, and didn't always seat cleanly. Often they didn't chamber well. I didn't notice any leaving debris on the barrel ramp, thought...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

They fouled my reloading dies, and didn't always seat cleanly. Often they didn't chamber well. I didn't notice any leaving debris on the barrel ramp, thought...
That's interesting. I have never loaded coated for semi but have loaded and shot probably 4000 rds through revolvers. Never had an issue.
I am surprised you had issues chambering. The coating seems to provide a certain amount of lubricisity so I would imagine they would chamber better.

Only bullets I ever had chambering issues with were berry's. I still have about 1000 bullets for 9mm so I will use them there someday but in 10mm the noses would get bashed in on impact with the ramp and crush it.

I don't use berry's anymore and gave my stash of berry's 45 to a friend

·
Registered
12,275 Posts

I stareted reloading using only plated bullets. I have switched to coated bullets for the most part, except for where I still have plated, starting a couple years ago. I figure I have loaded around 4,000 coated bullets for 38/357. There has been no sign of the coating fouling up my dies or guns in any way. The only lead bullets I now use are Speer, 148gr hollow based wadcutters

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

I out of thousands and thousands using them.
Must have got a bad batch that were improperly coated (which is hard to do) The coating should in no way come off in the dies?????

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just at my reloading area which was still set up from this morning. Made me take a flashlight to the inside of my dies. No sign if green in any if them

·
Registered
194 Posts
Man, I've never had my dies getting gummed up or the coating residue staying on my dies. I typically clean my dies after I finish a big batch, and I've never seen it at all. I've put thousands of them down various guns of mine, and never had a problem with them at all.

·
Registered
139 Posts

im really surprised. You didn’t state what brand you tried, but I load Hytek Coated in everything I shoot even rifles. Never had a single issue. Only adjustment is you need to bell case mouth slightly larger than with jacketed bullets. Extremely accurate and clean. One huge advantage I’ve found with coated Is velocity is faster than jacketed with equal powder charge. You can push them hard with no leading either. Shot some 130gr yesterday at 1800fps (chronographed) out of a 8 3/8” S&W revolver. No problems and turned out to be the most accurate load we tried at 115 yards.

·
Registered
152 Posts
+1 on the Missouri Bullet Company. I use them in my 44Mag and 460V. Once I'm out of the .40 and 9mm coated from other companies, I'll switch to MBC on those as well. I appreciate the post with pics, Rule3.
I have torture tested bullets from MBC. I smashed them with a hammer, crushed them in a vice and hit them with a propane torch. Nothing Nada, Zilch! The coated did not come off.

View attachment 465938 View attachment 465938

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have now fired about 150 rds with the DG bullets (coated lead) out of the Sig 229 40S&W and they work great!

It's nice since the same bullets are what I use in the 10mm revolver!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts