Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been extremely fortunate over the years to be able to shoot, carry , evaluate and repair large numbers of
great revolvers made by Smith Wesson, Colt, Ruger Etc. Some were very Iconic names others faded into obscurity
but I'm still very thankful that US gun makers are still in the business of making some great six guns and in some cases 7 gun and
10 guns . that continue to serve my passion.

My first revolver that I purchased myself was a Model 67 Smith Wesson featuring a 4 inch barrel and target sights, ( Below)
Before I came into the Law Enforcement profession Most of the local sheriff's and Police agencies were carrying revolvers.
My grand father carried a Smith Wesson M&P and my father owned a Smith Wesson model 10. While I don't remember what I paid for the Model 67!
It is then and still remains an excellent shooter.

I had saved my pay from my working at a local A & P grocery store as a stock clerk to pay for the gun. I was just beginning to learn to reload
and used my grandfathers LEE reloader to to make about 100 .38 special soft swaged lead semi wadcutter bullets. They made a mess of the
bore and cylinder when shooting which I dutifully cleaned after every shooting session.

Dad and would drive out to our farm in the the back of a bottom area we had a couple of old farm wagons that were junk filled with dirt
that made our back stop. There, using old tin cans, old bottles and the occasional NRA bullseye target . I learned to draw from an old borrowed holster
and practiced sight picture , trigger control and getting good hits as my grandfather had taught me early in life..

Round after round week after week I practiced those fundamentals, Summer ,Spring Fall and on the bad winter days of Northern Illinois
read gun magazines . I learned how to deal with the long double action trigger pull. The M &P the Model 10 and My 67 became extensions of me.

My desire for Law Enforcement as my occupation became strong . I graduated from the Illinois State Police Academy where I learned to shoot my
first auto pistol the Model 39 9mm. During my short career in Illinois while the Model 39 was on my side that model 67 was not very far away.

After the Democrat blow out election of 1974, and a tragic officer involved shooting incident , I left the State of Illinois and headed to Florida to warmer weather . I secured a position with the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office were I did a 30 year career. Starting in Palm Beach County they were still carrying revolvers and the model 67 went into a LAPD Speed Scabbard holster. From Patrol to traffic and Special Services division the Model 67 was my constant friend .

PBSO went to Auto pistols in 1993 with various auto pistols being allowed to be carried . My 67 became a safe queen. Many auto pistols have been in my safe but the 67 is still there .

I had the great opportunity to serve 8 years as the Range Manager for PBSO . I went to some of the finest shooting schools , armorers schools and manufactures schools that can be held. I took classes from Ray Chapman, Bill Rogers, Smith Wesson, Sig Arms,. I have gotten to know Massad Ayoob , gunsmiths like Jim Clark and I served 12 years on the Board of Directors of the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors .

Over 40 years have passed since that model 67 came into my life. While I shoot a ton of Auto Pistols there is not a day goes buy when a revolver is not some where close to me . When I venture into the great outdoors since retirement a revolver is probably, most likely , with me .

I still love and enjoy shooting revolvers .

While I have been hard on Colt over the years for miss management Am I happy they reintroduced the Python and King Cobra? You Bet !! Even thought i don't like the Hillary Hole in the new Smith Wesson's am I glad they brought back the Classic Series? ABSOLUTELY ! Am I happy to see the Ruger SP101 and Ruger GP 100's with new calibers and features ? most certainly !!

I'm as happy as everyone to see revolvers still being made and making a come back . I doubt that they well ever be as popular as they once were. But I believe that a new generation of young shooters
will come to appreciate their values to the shooting world and their virtues .

Keep the Wheels on the Wheel Guns turning

Layne12gun DSCF3474.JPG DSCF2930.JPG MyGunsDec2015 012.JPG DSCF3572.JPG

My Model 67 in its holseter, Grand Dad's model M & P , My 67 again, Dad's model 10 along with mine

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
As a sign of hope, My oldest- Mr. Fantastic Plastic, bought a GP 100 :shock: and a 29-3 kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Layne, what a great story. I was where series guy was with the length, but I am glad I read it. Thank you for your service in law enforcement. I have a story about a S&W Model 39. I had a friend on the sheriff’s Dept and he just had to have a 39. The Dept had just gone to autos and officers could buy a Smith and carry it. My friend ordered one and loaded it and carried it for two weeks. We met at our local FOP to shoot it one Saturday and he told me he had never shot the 39. He carried it for two weeks and never fired it. We loaded it up with carry ammo and the gun shot only once. We couldn’t get it to feed anything. I sure was glad he didn’t have to use it during those two weeks. Back to the factory it went. Here is my Model 67.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
My son likes my model 19, no interest in the N frame, and just bought a 1911, albeit in Taurus. I need to try that one out..:)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Layne, what a great story. I was where series guy was with the length, but I am glad I read it. Thank you for your service in law enforcement. I have a story about a S&W Model 39. I had a friend on the sheriff’s Dept and he just had to have a 39. The Dept had just gone to autos and officers could buy a Smith and carry it. My friend ordered one and loaded it and carried it for two weeks. We met at our local FOP to shoot it one Saturday and he told me he had never shot the 39. He carried it for two weeks and never fired it. We loaded it up with carry ammo and the gun shot only once. We couldn’t get it to feed anything. I sure was glad he didn’t have to use it during those two weeks. Back to the factory it went. Here is my Model 67.
Moral of the story Always fire at least 200 rounds out of a gun before your life Depends on it . Advice given by non other that Ray Chapman himself !!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I suspected there was an increase in interest in revolvers a few years back. When Kimber & Colt started making revolvers (again for Colt), I was sure the revolver was making a comeback
A big contributing factor was the threat of magazine restrictions on semi auto pistols. Almost all revolvers would be exempt from capacity restrictions, unless you live in NY or CA.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
My shooting “career” started with Pop’s old S&W M&P 32 WCF. I watched Pop work magic with that revolver and told myself I would be at least that good. That was back in 1963. It took me a while but I got to that point and then some. Unfortunately, Pop was equally god with a P08 Luger and while I can hit with a self loader, they are not my cup of tea.

Making a comeback? For some of us, they never went away!

Kevin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts