Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grips = Stocks for this discussion

And this didn't fit pre-1945 or post-1945 revolvers, so here it is in The Lounge.

Last disclaimer, I promise. No guns were harmed or killed in this experiment.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, let's look at this forlorn refinished Victory Model in .38 spl. Gone now is its once glorious parkerized finish, and a half-decent buff and hot blue job now covers the gun.

But the grips. Oh, yes. The grips. I bought a box of junk ten years ago at an estate sale for $45. I sold off about $300 worth of M1-carbine parts, and I just pulled the grips out today for a better look.

They look, for all the world, like K-frame Diamond Checkered Walnut Target Grips from the mid-1960's. I put them on the Victory Revolver, because that is my only K-frame to test fit. I still have the original smooth Victory walnut panels.

I paid $160 for the gun a few years ago. So, are the Target Grips really worth what folks on e-bay are asking? What are they really worth? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
11,407 Posts
Well, based on what you originally paid for the old Victory Model, maybe. However, your gun now, refinish and all is worth on today's market for north of $160 bucks. Those diamond relief Target stocks are beautiful, but I'm not sure how today's market would value them over the gun itself, at least for someone like me Just as you did in your estate sale 'mystery box', many yard sales, flea markets, pawn shops and even gun shows can still cough up remarkable and inexpensive finds when it comes to stocks and other accessories. Thanks for the pictures, I enjoyed seeing them!

· Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Well.... considering that S&W hasn't made those grips for more than 50 years.

There is a demand from people wanting to buy replacement grips for what would have been "correct" for their gun, to replace worn, broken or the rubber grips that were on the gun when they bought it.

Are the prices on ebay worth it? Usually, no... especially the unrealistic "throw it on the wall and see if it sticks" buy it now pricing by some sellers.

For your grips, in today's market pricing, my guess is $150 reasonable.

I need to find where you guys find your treasures at estate, yard, flea market and pawn shops... it's slim ass pickings where I'm located.

· Banned
2,787 Posts
$150 would be a good price. But $200 is more likely what you will see Football Relief Diamond Targets in that kind of condition listed for. However, as others have pointed out, the gun, even with it's refinish, is worth more than that in todays market.

· Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I saw a pair for $435 earlier today. But I can't find them this evening

Here is a pair, asking $300.

Rogers Guns
That seller is among the ones with historically high "buy it now" prices... come to think of it, that looks to be the only way that they sell, no auctions.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know why these grips were in a box, other than having been removed from a gun from the 1960's, or sold as an accessory of the era.

Would these have been original to the Model 14? 15?

I might try to find an appropriate model and year of production gun with some aftermarket grips.

· Registered
18,051 Posts
I don't know why these grips were in a box, other than having been removed from a gun from the 1960's, or sold as an accessory of the era.

Would these have been original to the Model 14? 15?

I might try to find an appropriate model and year of production gun with some aftermarket grips.
They came standard on some models sometimes, but were often available right at the gun shop as an accessory

· Banned
2,291 Posts
So, are the Target Grips really worth what folks on e-bay are asking? What are they really worth? Thanks in advance.
They are certainly in great condition. (y) What are they worth? :unsure: Whatever you can get for them! :giggle:

I see crazy high asking prices on eBay and over on the Blue forum... and sure enough, they do sell. Some wealthy collector somewhere is looking for those exact grips/stocks as we speak... I guarantee it! :)

I've never paid over $100 for a set of targets and I've got some extremely nice ones, but most are not of that vintage and the ones that are of that vintage are not quite as nice as yours.

I'd say you got a very good deal. (y)

· Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Well I bought a pair of grips off Gun Broker for about $300, but they came with an inexpensive M19-? with 6" barrel and Patridge front sight for only $450. I was going to own those grips. One adult beverage + green cash payday, and I was ready.

EDIT: I had spousal approval for $500 total, but clearly the grips were special.

· Banned
2,291 Posts
Well I bought a pair of grips off Gun Broker for about $300, but they came with an inexpensive M19-? with 6" barrel and Patridge front sight for only $450. I was going to own those grips. One adult beverage + green cash payday, and I was ready.
LOL!!!! :) Been there, done that... i.e., bought a revolver primarily for the outstanding stocks/grips. (y)

Not that there is anything wrong with that! :giggle:

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is akin to buying the gun just for the holster. Guilty as charged.

· Registered
20,428 Posts
I sold a set of gorgeous Diamond Targets to Drew, maybe a decade ago........for $65. I had no idea what they were worth......but he did. :cautious: It pays to know what you're doing, when selling something! Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.