Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ppl. I'm looking for a 28-2 extractor (counterbored), and it seems to be hard to find.
So if that part would be interchangeable with model 27 (-1,or - 2), perhaps it would be easier to find.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, very much.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,583 Posts
The ejector star is a hand fit part. An N Frame .357 part with left hand threads would be a start and then it's some careful work to make it fit your cylinder. Then you're on to making sure your original hand works with the new part.
I 100% agree.

First, they made one 28-1. The 27-1 is less rare (made for one year).

If I had a S&W 28-2 that needed a star, I wouldn't try to find the part. The Model 27 is much more valuable. You can do well by parting out the Model 28 internal parts.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Unless you're a skilled gunsmith fitting a new extractor is going to be uphill all the way. The only drop-in parts are the grips. A used extractor might not be fit @ all w/out some serious work (stoning, welding, etc.). Why do you need one? Is it missing or broken? If you have the original it might be repaired much cheaper than milling out a replacement. Costly any way you look @ it.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
You can find Model 28 cylinders on ebay quite often for very reasonable prices. buy one with the ejector star and try fitting the entire assembly to your gun. It might be easier. If that doesn't work then you have an ejector star to work with. I have replaced some of these parts with very minor fitting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Injumbro, I experience timing problems, star is eroded. Coking strongly, or semi, SA or DA it works fine. Slowly is different. It seems it was previously repaired.
Anyway, is a beautiful, very accurate and strong gun. I have had a 686, a 586 and a Trooper. Some pics here.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
It looks to me like you may be able to solve your problems with a good scrubbing with some solvent and a brass brush. That gun is really dirty. Don't forget to clean under the star also. There's a cylinder and ejector star on ebay right now that looks very clean.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
It looks to me like you may be able to solve your problems with a good scrubbing with some solvent and a brass brush. That gun is really dirty. Don't forget to clean under the star also. There's a cylinder and ejector star on ebay right now that looks very clean.
+1 on the cleaning, or a shim or 2 for it. Shims are cheap and easy. There are different thicknesses and trial and error until you are happy.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I don't see anything wrong w/ that ratchet other than being filthy. I think if you dismantled that gun, gave it a good soaking & scrubbing inside & out it would solve most, if not all of it's issues. Possible a new hand could be needed but until everything is spotless I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't see anything wrong w/ that ratchet other than being filthy. I think if you dismantled that gun, gave it a good soaking & scrubbing inside & out it would solve most, if not all of it's issues. Possible a new hand could be needed but until everything is spotless I wouldn't bother.
Strongly agree. From the description of not going into battery on slowly cycling, I'd more suspect a somewhat shortened hand as the problem. Ought to be easily solved with one of the oversized ones offered by Brownell's.

·
Registered
22,192 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As the others have stated, it looks like it needs a good cleaning and it should be good to go. Keep us up to date and hopefully you can provide a range report soon.:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts