Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing lately quite a few AR platforms being touted in gun rags as varmint/hunting guns and was wondering why this trend is getting so much press....is this platform getting more popular for a reason (over bolt guns) or is to show the antis that these are legitimate hunting guns so they don't get banned again under the ominous "assault weapon" category..... :?:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Black rifles have been very popular with varmit hunters for quite a while the 223 is a good round for varmits.Out here in the west coyote hunting is allowed 24/7 365 days a year.I heard some shots tonight out in the desert. They got them hunted down pretty good around here havent had one in my yard in a long time and dont hear the yapping all night either.
First the coyotes would start when one was on a rabiit and joined in by others then all the dogs would go off god awful noise with dogs and coyotes sounding off all night.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sip I use my AR for hunting varmints and black tail deer. The rifle is extremely light and easy to carry all day. Plus I find that the rifle is a lot of fun to shoot. :)

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
I see it as the modern day equivalent of sporterizing the old Springfield and Mauser military rifles, that was popular in the 50's and 60's. You can build a fine hunting rifle from these. But, nowadays......why would you want to? You can get new Winchesters, Remingtons, Marlins, and all the rest, for under a grand! You can get nice used hunting rifles for under $500. Recently, I saw a Tikka T3 with scope, and sling, for less than $400. :shock: Bob

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
is this platform getting more popular for a reason
I think it all boils down to "marketing" to sell more "product". Whether or not it's a pink "Kalasna Kitty AK" or "Mossy Oak Camo" Powder Coated AR's with 9 power Leupold hunting scopes...if it sells more guns, they're gonna us it.

I tend to accept this more than the "Side Walk Commando" mentality of some 1911 makers who wanna add monikers like "Warrior" or "Night Raider" to their guns to make them sound more "manly" to potential novice buyers. oja;n jagap[a

G

·
0 Posts
There are a lot of hunters both here in the midwest, and nationwide that don't support the idea that assualt rifles should be allowed at all. Many I know will not join the NRA because of it. Some are now starting to use AR's for coyote, and other varmints. A few more use them for deer around here than in years past. I think they only started to accept them once the regular hunting rifles and shotguns started being offered with composite and camoflagued stocks. Up til then it was unusual to see anything but wood stocks and blued barrels. an AR based 308 is an excellent deer rifle. Just make sure it has a low-cap magazine.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Since the AR platform has become the "TinkerToy" of the modern military rifle, there have been platforms built to get as much range and accuracy out of them as possible. Some go so far as to barely recognizable as an AR rifle. You can go from a pistol platform to an all out target/varmint slayer able to keep all rounds inside a 4" circle way out past 200yds. I still to this day, even after 21yrs in the US Army don't have much use for one. I still prefer wood for my rifles.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm not sure if the Northern Illinois Prairie Dog Exterminators Association is still around, but there used to be a group of guys (and girls) who would road trip out West and shoot prairie dogs for the benefit of the land owners. The darn things create holes that cause the farmers' cattle and such to break their legs in the dumb holes. They can't poison the prairie dogs because then the poison gets into everything that eats the prairie dogs and then everything that eats what ate the prairie dogs. I think there's a saying that if a prairie dog has a litter of 6, then at least 15 will survive. Farmers can't afford the time or the ammo cost to shoot the dang varmints. So hunters come from all over to wipe 'em out.

The guys would bring 30 round mags in their AR-15's and shoot those prairie dogs without having to spend time loading.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW in my opinion another reason the AR platform is so popular is the inter-change-ability factor. One lower can be used on so many different caliber uppers. Uppers can come in so many different configurations even in the same caliber. Heck one can even attach their lower to a 50BMG caliber single shot upper and bang the gong at 1000 meters. I am betting Ruger will have a 204 Ruger upper out by Christmas 09, it is just too perfect a set up for them not to. .

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
onenut58 said:
Black rifles have been very popular with varmit hunters for quite a while the 223 is a good round for varmits.Out here in the west coyote hunting is allowed 24/7 365 days a year.I heard some shots tonight out in the desert. They got them hunted down pretty good around here havent had one in my yard in a long time and dont hear the yapping all night either.
First the coyotes would start when one was on a rabiit and joined in by others then all the dogs would go off god awful noise with dogs and coyotes sounding off all night.
I have coyotes yapping too at times. When I let my lab out to pee at night, sometimes he will jump a coyote right off the back patio and I can hear him growling and chasing the coyote for up to a 1/4 mile!! I sometimes think he might get ganged up on by a pack, but so far no. I don't know what he'd do with one if he caught one...I bet he don't know either! :lol:

As for AR as hunting guns, my bet is that they get so much press so as to show the antis that they are valid hunting rifles. I wouldn't want one for that purpose, as I don't cotton to looking like a wanna-be commando while out plinking at coyotes. Give me an old vintage 700 ADL Remington with a WOOD stock anyday. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts