Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
That Macaroni thing you strap onto a Glock will be next. It’s basically a rifle buttstock.

Reactions: combat

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts

The ATF has not stated specifically why this "Pistol" is off limits.
The guesses are mainly that Q didn't send in a sample to the ATF giving them the opportunity to give it their blessing.
Or, that the "brace" is not fixed, and when fully extended it exceeds the allowable length for a "Pistol".
Lastly is that the "Brace" is designed so that it will not fit properly over the forearm of the operator using this weapon, making it a rifle stock.

Hopefully we will get more news as to why the order was issued.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not real surprised to see this happen. It seems like some of this stuff was really pushing the limits of the law. I figured it was only a matter of time before they jumped on this and other stuff that 20 or so, years ago, we would not have thought would ever be legal.
The really short shot guns are a good example of this, and also real mystery to me, as to how they are legal. Some how these things slip by and then all at once the are banned, as a political move, in perfect timing to the election.
While I am not a fan of the bump stocks or the so called brace things, I do realize its a stepping stone, for more stupid laws that we don't want and that will not do any good.
I embrace all types of guns and gun owners, and realize everyone's taste is different, but I also believe that some of this stuff is pretty worthless, and probably does more to hurt our image, and fuel the fire than it is worth.
I hope that I dont come off as a supporter of gun control, and that could not be further from the truth. I am just saying that with freedom comes responsibility, and the types of guns are easy for the anti gun people to target, thus setting the stage to move on to bigger things.
We are playing on a slippery slope friends!

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
Not at all and Gearchecker has one I believe....

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Call the President
PHONE NUMBERS
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Intended to be fired from the shoulder (a rifle) - no (wink, nod)
Barrel under 16" - check
Made from a rifle - maybe kinda sorta but not really (wink, nod)
Overall length under 26" - check (website says 25")

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Intended to be fired from the shoulder (a rifle) - no (wink, nod)
Barrel under 16" - check
Made from a rifle - maybe kinda sorta but not really (wink, nod)
Overall length under 26" - check (website says 25")
So? That ship has sailed IMO. If they were SBR's the ATF should have made that determination years ago. Not after a few million were sold. Also, either they follow the APA (Admin. Procedures Act) and allow public comment or they're a rogue agency.

For each call the WH receives on an issue, the govt. estimates several thousand people are concerned but don't call. I was only on hold for a few minutes. (y)

Reactions: Keith44Spl

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So? That ship has sailed IMO. If they were SBR's the ATF should have made that determination years ago. Not after a few million were sold. Also, either they follow the APA (Admin. Procedures Act) and allow public comment or they're a rogue agency.
I agree. Unfortunately, the same thing happened with bump stocks. ATF had previously ruled bump stocks legal. Then after Vegas... all of a sudden an illegal machinegun and banned from ownership, period. Thank you NRA for throwing gun owners under the bus on that one :rolleyes:. NRA-ILA news suggests that the NRA is actually with gun owners on this AR pistol (arm brace) issue.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
No way they’ve sold that many with an MSRP like it has.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
The brace manufacturers are also worried. There's a lot of them out there.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Unless I had a disability that called for the use of such a device, I don’t see the practicality. There are so many other choices. That being said, if you like it, that’s all that matters. I support you. The law stinks and we all know it.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No way they’ve sold that many with an MSRP like it has.
I'm not sure what you're referring to but the ATF letter stating arm braces were legal pistol configurations (not SBRs regulated by the NFA requiring a tax stamp) goes back to 2015. Tons have been sold. Palmetto has been selling entire pistol kits for less than $500 even in today's high-priced environment. Used to be under $400. Add a $50 stripped lower.... complete pistol.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I'm not sure what you're referring to but the ATF letter stating arm braces were legal pistol configurations (not SBRs regulated by the NFA requiring a tax stamp) goes back to 2015. Tons have been sold. Palmetto has been selling entire pistol kits for less than $500 even in today's high-priced environment. Used to be under $400. Add a $50 stripped lower.... complete pistol.
I was referring to this post which I assumed was specifically about the Honey Badger, which has an MSRP of $2,599. Honey Badger® by Q - Pistol

For each call the WH receives on an issue, the govt. estimates several thousand people are concerned but don't call. I was only on hold for a few minutes. (y)

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was referring to this post which I assumed was specifically about the Honey Badger, which has an MSRP of $2,599. Honey Badger® by Q - Pistol
Right. I don't think many people care much about HB specifically. It's the implication of how this could impact all arm brace pistol configurations that has folks fired up. Like gearchecker says, folks will have to wait to see how this plays out. A lot of people have been predicting for a while that it was just a matter of time until the ATF revisited arm brace pistol configurations.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
As for how many are out there, I have no idea but all the gun forums are full of people buying or building them, and all the manufacturers offer them. Even Ruger has an AR pistol and the 9mm PCC in pistol-ish format.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Time for some political action- call, write, email etc.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts