Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that Midway has AR Stoner mags on sale for $8.99 or so. Anybody know if they are worth a poot or is this just another case of you get what you pay for?

Scott

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Don't know about the Stoner mags but I recently bought some from Brownell's for about $15 (+/-) with silicone springs, good follower, etc. You can get them in tan or black (dark gray). They work great with my Colt AR.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too prefer the Brownell's mags but the tightwad in me comes out some time. Must be some reason they are so cheap. Maybe there's no reason to buy mags since there ain't no bullets to put in em.

Scott

·
Registered
753 Posts
me 3. The Brownells mags are the only ones I use. excellent mags for under 20 bucks. If they ever talk of a ban, these will get pricey (like before).

·
Registered
747 Posts
Brownells put out a very good mag, but for my defense AR's, I use H&K AR-15 mags, $50.00 per mag money well spent.
I also like 100 round Beta mags, also money well spent.
I don't put a price tag on reliability when I might need it most.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Cheap Mags are like Cheap Parachutes.... maybe they'll work, but for what they cost, why would you take the chance?

Most folks think that Colt, Bushmaster, etc. make their own mags.... not so. They are built by others under the labeling companies contract. One such company is Tri Angle Metal Fabrication in Colchester, Vt. There are many others....

If you want inexpensive, hi-end AR mags, it's tough to beat this deal... Colt marked green followers for $20 ea. DELIVERED.

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

However, these have recently come to my attention and I'm seriously considering a dozen in the near future....

[youtube:k21e4531]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nJnGmwMMI8[/youtube:k21e4531]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had mags by Colt, Bushmaster, Brownell's, Adventureline, Center, Sanchez, Thermold and others.
I prefer P-Mags, both 20 and 30 rounders.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hmmm, let me think, Stoner developes AR15, Stoner developes Magazines for AR15, Military accepts Stoner's AR15 and Magazines, Stoner(Armalite Company founder) keeps building AR15s and Magazines, product improves over 40+ year period....

Well...DUUUUUHHHHH!

·
Registered
48 Posts
DaveWW said:
Hmmm, let me think, Stoner developes AR15, Stoner developes Magazines for AR15, Military accepts Stoner's AR15 and Magazines, Stoner(Armalite Company founder) keeps building AR15s and Magazines, product improves over 40+ year period....

Well...DUUUUUHHHHH!
I could be wrong but I think the military only has contracts with Colt and FN.
Haven't tried P-Mags have Ya!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My Ruger SR-556 came with three Magpul mags and they're 100% reliable. Very well made and they sell for just $14.95 each all over the internet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never did order any of the Stoner mags. I never heard from anyone with experience with them.
As for the Brownels mags since I posted, I have discovered that 2 of them that have been loaded for a few months seem to have swollen and are hard to seat. Tried them in 2 different rifles, same problem. I have a few more mags from various mfg. that all work fine. Go figure.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about my last post. The mags weren't swelling. I think its more spring tension from a new mag than I am used too, even though I load down to 27 rounds. I need to shoot the AR's more to stay used to them i guess.

Scott

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Richard K said:
DaveWW said:

Well...DUUUUUHHHHH!
I could be wrong but I think the military only has contracts with Colt and FN.
Haven't tried P-Mags have Ya!

Rich, Stoner sold the rights to the Gov't, they contracted colt, then many,many moons later, after the move to the M4, FN. Armalite stayed in business all those years, Developing the AR18 and AR180 and the 308 powered AR10. Ten or fifteen years ago Armalite started building AR15s again for commercial sale. During this entire period they were building AR15 mags( They're what my AR180 uses). To assume they haven't done any product improvement in all those years is not believable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts