800x
vv n110
vv n350
vv n340
bluedot
win 296
h110

to work with.

I am stuck with magnum primers for the moment as that is all I have been able to get my hands on for now. I am looking for a medium load that will impact close to where my 110gr 357 loads are hitting.

I am thinking of starting with the 800x because it is cheap, I am thinking 5gr to start. Any experiences?

·
Registered
668 Posts
The only one of those I've used is W296 but that was in 45LC, and I don't recall the recipe. Sorry.

Did just finish some VERY nice 158SWC 38 special loads in Tite Group.

·
Registered
170 Posts
any case, any standard small pistol primer, 4.0 grain 231.

G

·
0 Posts
W296 and H110 are the same powder. I wonder is N110 isn't similiar.

What I do know is that you should never shoot these powders in a straight walled handgun cartridge without going over to a magnum primer.

giz

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
This info is from a 4" barreled M-10-7 and are max loads for a 158 gr. LSWC so stick to the industry standard of starting 10% lower and work your way up.

VV350 5.2 grs. - 912 FPS
VV340 4.8 grs. - 882 FPS
Blue Dot 5.5 grs. - 955 FPS

I personally prefer the old but goodies for the .38 spl. which are Bullseye and Unique. If I want something near the same burn rate that burns cleaner I use AA#2.

Good luck on your quest... kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
111 Posts
When my daughter and I go to the range she starts with
4.5 grain of unique and a Fed 100 primer
then
5. grains of Unique and fed 100 primer
then
she goes to a .357 load of 6.5 gr.Unique
when she does that we go to full loads with WW296

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
I too use 4.5 grains Unique, but with Winchester or CCI primers. No particular reason for the primer difference, except that's what I have on hand.

I know that's not really what you're asking, but Unique is fairly easy to find (even now) and it's a great powder. I use it almost exclusively.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Oddly enough, I just loaded up some 158's a couple of weeks ago and they were possibly the most outstanding load I've come up with. Gave me 2.0" at 25 yards with a 6" Colt Peackeeper.

Also oddly enough, it was the first time I failed to mark the box with the powder I used. I got called away right after I was done. I've been wracking my brain trying to remember what that load was. :x

·
Registered
182 Posts
I doubt that you'll get good results with the slow burning powders like H110 and 296. I don't know VV's 110, but if it's in the same range, it's meant for magnum rounds just like the two previously mentioned. Blue Dot might work for you, but I'd lean to vv 340 out of the powders you mentioned. I've not loaded it in 38 special, but its burn rate should be on track. I loaded either 700x or 800x years ago, but I don't remember which. I DO remember not being impressed, and I never bought a 2nd pound of it.

Like most of the others who posted, I use Unique for 38 special and sometimes HP-38.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I'm repeating some of the previous comments, but all the gunpowders you've listed are for performance (+P-magnum) loads. I believe that you'll be disappointed with light loads using any of these - incompletely-burned powder, blackened cases, erratic velocities, etc.

5.0gr. 800X +158gr. SWC is a good place to start, but I'm betting that you won't be real happy with that light load/gunpowder combo. Even at higher chamber pressures, 800X is a filthy-burning gunpowder. I got on a 800X kick awhile back developing high-velocity +P loads for .45acp. I didn't quit using it because of the dirty residue. I quit it because it metered about as well as paper plates in my powder measures.

xtm

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use Unique for my .38 and .357 loads. I prefer moly-coated 158 grain RNFP or 180 grain Truncated Cones

SASS Cowboy Pistol .38: 3.8 grains Unique, 158 grain RNFP
SASS Cowboy Carbine .38: 4.0 grains Unique, 158 grain RNFP
Lever Gun Silohuette .38: 4.5 grains Unique, 158 grain RNFP
Lever Gun Silohuette .357: 6.5 grains Unique, 180 grain TC
Magnum Pistol .357: 6.5 grains Unique, 180 grain TC

I also use Unique for my .30-30 Silohuette loads: 10.4 grains with a 165 grain RNFP. Estimated 1400 fps. Easily knocks down the 55 lb rams at 200 meters.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
cutlass1972 said:
I am not a big fan of unique. It is just SO dirty.
It's probably your bullet lube as much as it is the powder.

Unique, Bullseye and 2400 are my powders of choice in the .38 Special.

Bullsye for inexpensive light loads.

Unique for mid-range & small game loads.

2400 for heavier "High Speed" .38-44 Duplication Loads.

I have others to choose from but in 35 years of trying, I've never seen any benefit from using anything else.

Drew

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
Drew,
Those three are my 'go to' powders too.

I've tried some others but always ended up going back to one of those three, no matter what caliber I'm loading.

I know you're talking about 38 Special, but I've found that one or more of those three work well in evey caliber I load for.

Just to clarify though, I'm not talking about rifle ammo. I restrict myself to reloading straight wall ammo only.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I have found that 4.5 gr RED DOT works well with .38 Special LSWCs. That was a Jeff Cooper recomendation for 38 Snubs but he went up to 5 gr. I dropped it 10% and it worked so well I stopped experimenting. fhfjjjj

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you guys don't have terrible fouling with unique and other flake powders?

I have experienced unique leaving almost like block powder gunk behind and unburnt powder flakes in the cylenders and all over the outside of the revolvers.

Maybe it is my bullet lube. I am shooting up what I have left for a couple of thousand oregon trail hard cast lswc with a blue lube I bought many years ago as bullets are hard to come by these days. As soon as I shoot them up I am swearing off solid lead bullets and going with the rainer plated bullets for plinking.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's true that we've been ignoring the list of powders but, in our defense, specific powders get reputations for certain calibers: Unique for .38s/.357, etc., IMR 3031 for .30-30, IMR 4064 for .30-40 Krag, Titegroup for .45 LC and .45 Auto. The sum of the reloading community's wisdom points away from the powders listed for the caliber desired. That being said, I think there is a lot of fun to be had by trying new loads with powder/caliber combinations that are off the beaten track. ;)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
CruzerX said:
It's true that we've been ignoring the list of powders but, in our defense, specific powders get reputations for certain calibers: Unique for .38s/.357, etc., IMR 3031 for .30-30, IMR 4064 for .30-40 Krag, Titegroup for .45 LC and .45 Auto. The sum of the reloading community's wisdom points away from the powders listed for the caliber desired. That being said, I think there is a lot of fun to be had by trying new loads with powder/caliber combinations that are off the beaten track. ;)
Well said.

xcept that Bullseye is THE powder for .45 Auto.. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts