Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey S&W,

As you know, we like to have FUN! here in Central Pa. So we do!

We did some chrono work, and shot a bit of steel.

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey S&W,

For those looking for low recoil .45acp data, take a look here.

We were having unburnt powder problems with the Berry's Plated Bullets this winter, using 3.5gr of CLAYS. This charge will drive a 230gr LRN at 700fps. With no unburnt, cylinder clogging, powder. The plated bullet, I believe we will need to go up to 3.8gr of CLAYS, in order for it to "seal" the case.

The 3.5gr CLAYS with the Berry's Plated Bullets, well the cases would about "fall" through my "de bulger". LOL

If you pay mind, you will notice that barrel length does not increase velocity, by much, with CLAYS! An ideal low recoiling propellant for short barrels. LOL

Now for laughs. Watch a Round Man use a "supplied" Round Gun! LOL

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark, at those velocities (loads) what range do you zero the sights for?......what distance do you zero them for?
Hey Geeze,

Basically a "BullsEye" load.

For shooting Steel & Pins I set the bullet strike to be about 1" high at 25 yds.

Works out well, for me.

Poor wording on my part. Happen to have accumulated a bunch of Berry's "Double Struck" 230gr RN. Figured may as well use them.

So. I normally use a 230gr LRN w/3.5gr CLAYS. This yields 700fps. (and I do shoot these to 200yds, w/about 10' hold over) LOL

I loaded about 1500 of the BERRY'S. With 3.5gr Clays. Got lots of unburned powder. ?? (scratches head) Could it be the plated bullet is "slicker" than the cast?

Noticed that the spent brass literally "falls" through my de-bulger. Thus we clocked them to find 600fps. A full 100 fps less than cast.

Think. The Plated bullet may be "slicker" than the cast bullet, not allowing for optimal pressure?

Action. Loaded 120 BERRY'S w/3.7gr CLAYS. This brought us up to 650fps. Of course, this was the warmest day we have shot, since last Fall. (by the way, my ammo is "cold soaked" as I keep my "GO" ammo in the garage.)

Next action. Think I will bump up to 3.8gr CLAYS.

As you know, un burned powder is a DISASTER in a revolver. My normal load, 230gr LRN with 3.5gr CLAYS and a FED 150, allows me to shoot at least 500 rds. with out concern about a "clogged" cylinder. The plated bullet may "clog" the cylinder in 18rds. Not good.

When we shot the BLUE MOUNTAIN CLASSIC last Fall, it was in the low 30's in the morning. I had no issues shooting the 200rds at the Match, using my cast bullets.

Only switched to the plated bullet to minimize lube "smoke" which can "hover" about the shooting box.

Oh well. Still have about 1,000 (or so) of the plated bullets with 3.5gr CLAYS.. I will shoot the EXPENSIVE bullets in practice. LOL!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
21,997 Posts
Hey Mark,

More great stuff! Glad everyone had a blast. Thanks for sharing the pics...love seeing what other members are doing at the range.:cool:

Later, Curt

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Mark,

More great stuff! Glad everyone had a blast. Thanks for sharing the pics...love seeing what other members are doing at the range.:cool:

Later, Curt
Hey Curt,

We all need to hook up some time..

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360
1 - 10 of 10 Posts