Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like an idiot, I applied red Loctite to the threads connecting the ejector rod to the star ejector, and now I cannot eject my cylinder. It still cycles just fine, but I suspect the Loctite was pushed back as I reassembled the cylinder and ejector assembly. I have heard applying heat, paint thinner, and diesel fuel, but I would like to know what has the best chance of working and the least chance of harming my gun. Help! :eek:

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Had to use the red Loctite! The red is the High Strength, meant for permanent assemblies. It is also impervious to any type of solvents, paint thinner, diesel fuel, etc. will not affect its bond. The only thing that works is heat. (400 degrees) In your situation the only thing I can think of that would generate that amount of heat without damaging your handgun is a hot air gun, like they use to strip paint. Be sure to remove the grips so you do not affect the finish or melt them. Lock it down, in a vise with padded jaws, put on a set of gloves and try to concentrate as much of the heat into the space between the cylinder and frame. It should soften up enough to be able to release the cylinder. Once you get it open continue to apply heat and disassemble the cylinder and ejector rod. Remove any traces of Loctite, and reassemble.

Found this trick in another Forum:

Sounds corny,but I used a large magnifying glass on a hot sunny day at the junkyard to heat up & loosen some rusted bolts once!..small ones about 1/4" that I didn't want to snap off because they were special shouldered ones on an antique car you'd never find more of..we couldn't use torches in many areas of the yard,as it was a wooded area with pinr trees and lots of dead needles!..

I was surprised the magnifying glass did heat the bolts up quite hot--not enough to glow red,but I sure couldn't touch then after letting it focus on them for about 30 seconds..I also learned one will crack glass if you focus it on a windsheild long enough too..I figured if one will pop ants,start fires,etc--it might work to heat other stuff up,and it does!..

·
Registered
23,223 Posts
Heat will work but you likely will end up damaging the spring & replacing it also. Paint thinner will likely clean out the oil & require it being oiled up again (no biggie). Diesel might work. If you try diesel or paint thinner be sure you don't get it on the grips or they will be damaged. I've heard of using acetone but don't know what it might do to the finish on your gun. Let us know how this turns out, we've all pulled a boner or 2 in our lives.

·
Registered
23,223 Posts
The hot air gun or magnifying glass are good ideas, I was thinking of the tip of a solder gun so the heat could be applied to a specific part.

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
In any case, whether a heat or chemical approach (and I would suggest real Acetone that you can buy at the Hardware Store, not fingernail polish remover), pull the cylinder from the frame by removing the forward frame screw that will release it from the yoke. Use masking tape to cover the finish on the outside of the cylinder barrel to protect the finish, much like masking before painting. You can always remove any stickiness later with rubbing alcohol if any adhesive from the tape sticks. That will give you an easier target to attack, but I would suggest patience with chemicals as a way to free it up. Sans tape and you have the time, soak the whole removed cylinder barrel intact in a submerged Automatic Transmission Fluid bath for a few weeks, it will eventually eat it loose, but again, patience is needed.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Heat baby heat!
Put it in your toaster oven at 450 degrees. Then while the part is hot remove the stuck parts. if the rods in your toaster oven don't warp, neither will your gun parts. If you allow it to cool, then the locktite will reactivate.

Loctite on their web site claim approx 482 degrees will kill the bond....

·
Registered
42 Posts
What type of screw head are you talking about to unscrew the item? I had a Allen head bolt that was lock tightened in and was able to use a torch to heat the bolt with heating the Allen head and it came out. I replaced the screws because you loose all of the temper in the metal when you heat it as hot as I had to to get the heat transfer.
I would also try a hobby shop that works on small metal engines for airplanes and cars. They may have some ways of getting out prken or stuck screws using their own chemicals from experience of people doing the same thing or just stuck bolts/screws.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been a while, but.....

8 mnutes in the oven(when Mrs. Knuckles isn't looking) after almost completely disassembling DID remove the loctite. Now a thorough cleaning, some light sanding, and I should be set. Thanks for your help, everyone.:bluelogo:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If anything use blue loctite, but i am sure you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts