Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back, on another blue-like forum far far away, someone recommended ATF to clean up guns by soaking them. A few weeks back I did some clay target shooting and one of my shotguns, a S&W pump kept having feed issues. I bought it used several years ago and I've shot it a few times, always doing a normal cleaning afterwards, but I never tried to rapidly feed shells through the action. I took off the stock, cut the top off a plastic jug and soaked the action in ATF for a couple of weeks in the garage (I actually forgot about it!). Anyway, cleaned her up and it feeds like a charm! I'd recommend it for projects where you have time on your hands.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Good to know! Thanks for sharing...
now, would that be:
Dexron
Mercon
Mercon IV
mercon V
ATF Z-1
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Why? I run Hoppes #9 in my tranny and it seizes-up every mile! Course he/she's an old tranny. omg01

As my dear departed mother used to say, "what will they think of next"?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ed's Red is fantastic stuff. It smells like death, so I only use it about eight months a year; the other four or so I switch to Hoppes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I went to the police academy since we didn't have much time to clean our revolvers ( since we were still using revolvers it tells you how long that has been since I was there :lol: )after shooting we used carburetor cleaner to clean them. Yeah, I know it sounds terrible but it was fast!!!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Ranger... did it work? Any ill effects (besides the smell)?

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I have used Carb cleaner for years to remove oil and gunk from my guns. They then have to be oiled. Carb cleaner spray has many names and is sold as a gun cleaning product by a number of companies. I tried a bottle of transmission fluid the last time I cleaned my duty weapon just before I turned it over to the dept armorer for his yearly inspection. It worked and the armorer did not complain. :lol:

Reactions: DocZeus

·
Registered
406 Posts
Brake kleen might be a better choice over carb cleaner. AFAIK, it won't damage any gun finishes or synthetic parts.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I made up a batch of the Ed's Red that was mentioned here. I have used it about a dozen times now and I am pleased with the results. I waited to post until I had used it enough times.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ATF is a great cleaning agent & gun oil..
And to those wondering about Grant Cunningham, He's one of the best Revolversmiths out there..
He works mostly on Colt & Dan Wessons but knows Smiths Too!!
He realy helped me out on a couple of DW 15-2 357s
Gary/Hk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used ATF for some time now, seems to work about as well as gun-specific products, at a much lower cost. I still use Hoppes for the bore though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'll toss another positive vote for Ed's Red. I've been using it for several years - exclusively - ever since I ran out of my last can of RBC.

The stuff will even take the black stains off the front of your stainless revolver cylinders - with the addition of a little elbow grease.

It is effective and it is cheap. I like it!

·
Super Moderator
19,373 Posts
ATF is nearly a pure detergent cleaner. That's how you can run it so long without gumming up your cars transmission. Another good use is cleaning an old tired engine.
Dump all of the oil, replace it with 3 qts of ATF and run it for about 20-30 minutes at idle. Drain your engine again and watch all the garbage come out of your drain. Fill it back up with Mobile for older engines and watch the improvement. Been doing it for years. Works like a charm.

Reactions: Bender
1 - 20 of 35 Posts