Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this site is now more a place favoring political debate, but I still like my Smith & Wesson revolvers, so I'll forge on with pictures and conversations about them. This is a police trade-in I bought in Prescott AZ in 2009 for $225 bucks. It showed wear as a New York police gun, but with some "Mothers Mag" wheel polish and after market wood stocks, it's a special house protection gun these days. Had I been smart, I should have bought 5 of them when they were available and made some money, but hindsight always chirps when you already have realized it. BTW, A-1 Beer had a long history in Arizona starting back to the 30's and through many gyrations became a top selling beer in the 50's and early 60's. Anyway, this beer tray used in the photos now resides in the Wire Grass of Alabama! ;)

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
That is a beauty of a gun there and the A-1 Arizona history adds a lot. I do remember A-1 from about 1964 to 1978.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Was it produced as stainless or is that a nickle finish?

When do do your thing with the mothers mag are you using a soft buffing wheel or ??

Nice looking gun!

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
The only S&W .38 revolver I own right now is a 64-7, 3 inch that is a IMG re-import.
Mine is a RB stainless with the ugly IL and MIM hammer which dates it to 2002, according to S&W 4th edition standard catalog.
And just like Blackcloud2, I should have bought more.

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
When the Phoenix PD transitioned to the Glock 17, my brother had the chance to buy his issued tappered barrel 64 for $100. He couldn't afford it back then. He ended up paying $400 for one after he retired.
I remember A1 beer and the brewery, about 24th St and Van Buren. I'd put it in same category as Lone Star. Given a choice of A1, Lone Star and Coors, I would have water.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the Phoenix PD transitioned to the Glock 17, my brother had the chance to buy his issued tappered barrel 64 for $100. He couldn't afford it back then. He ended up paying $400 for one after he retired.
I remember A1 beer and the brewery, about 24th St and Van Buren. I'd put it in same category as Lone Star. Given a choice of A1, Lone Star and Coors, I would have water.
Micky, in the mid to late 50's a saloon in Somerton AZ where my dad would work part time, they sold more A1 beer than any place in Arizona and as a reward, the bar owner, his wife, my dad and another friend were invited to Phoenix to tour the brewery, treated to lunch and a Spring baseball game, getting to see Ted Williams play, which was a very big deal! The company also sent a company artist to the bar/pool hall to paint two wall sized murals of the Lon Megarge A1 advertising paintings, which today are both worth several thousand dollars, I stay in touch with the family. I have the standard sized paintings hanging on my walls, which you've seen, along a few others of the A1 collection! :)

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was it produced as stainless or is that a nickle finish?

When do do your thing with the mothers mag are you using a soft buffing wheel or ??

Nice looking gun!
It had an original marred stainless finish, so I decided to polish it. I actually put the gun in a padded vise and chocked a Mother's Mag buffing wheel into a hand drill and slowly used it to polish the gun. I was sternly chastised by members for doing so many years ago now, but I'd do it again because of how good it turned out! ;)

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was that back in the day when Marvin Poole had the A-1 cantina?
It was Marvin PooL, no E and he owned the "Valley Buffet", the A-1 Cantina was owned by someone else. Marvin and his brother Fred inherited from their father Sanford (Sam) Pool who opened his first business, a pool hall in the 20's in Somerton. So you know the place and Somerton? I always like to hear from anyone that knows of Somerton! :)

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
As a reformed drunk I do remember A-1 Beer that I drank a lot of while I was in AZ in 1960. I preferred it over Coors. My only pistol purchase while there was a brand new Ruger Standard .22 LR for just under $40..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts