Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A PRISTINE unit sits in the gun case of a local dealer...these guns just all to me~!!

It's a love-hate relationship...love to hoard them, hate to pay for them.

Bob

·
Registered
402 Posts
I paid $525 two years ago for a used model 52 -no dash with no box or anything else. I was happy to get it for that. It is a sweet shooter when I do my part.
A mint one with all the goodies would probably bring between $900 -$1,200 today.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 52-1, an incredible piece of design and manufacture. Mine is fitted so tight, that even after thousands of rounds there is no play in the slide and barrel lockup at all! You got to keep them well oiled. It would not be economically feasible to make this gun today due to the intensive hand fitting and machining involved.
They were guaranteed 10 ring accuracy or better at 50 yards and were tested at the factory to verify before shipment. Any gun that would not pass was sent back for reworking.
The high cost and the more frequent use of the 45ACP 1911 in the centerfire stage of the MNC, eliminated the need to purchase the centerfire gun. This was the kiss of death for the 52.
I have seen good specimens go for $1200. I got mine used In the 1970's. I have the original box with all the papers and accessories, five magazines and the optional counterweight. What I paid for it then in today's dollars would be at least $1200 today. These are special guns for special people.

G

·
I paid $675 less than a year ago for one in nice shape. Unfortunately, I sunk quite a bit more into loading for it. Then I bought some vintage magazines for it. It's a fun gun for me, because there are no leagues to shoot in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts