Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a M&P 9MM Shield Plus and I love it. I have been looking for the most practical way to conceal carry it and have been working on appendix carrying it... then I came across a friend who pocket carries his Sig Sauer P365 and swears by it.

I believe the Sig Sauer P365 is a little smaller than the Shield Plus but not by much... (I don't have both pieces in my hand to compare them)

Which brings me to my question - has anyone here ever pocket carried a Shield Plus? If so, any wisdom you could share? If not, how do you conceal carry it instead?

I live in Florida and wearing outer garments like a jacket don't work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I carry a regular Shield in an on the waistband holster. It covers easy enough with a T-shirt. I pocket carry a J frame but the Shield is just a bit too big to do so with comfort for me
Can you share the type of waistband holster you have been using? I bought one which was elastic and it is a pain in the ass and uncomfortable to use. I've been trying to appendix carry and can somewhat get away with it.... until I have to sit anywhere. My friend who pocket carries his P365 told me he was carrying while we were sitting down having a casual conversation. I didn't know he was carrying at all. I don't wanna give up on my shield as I absoltutely love it but if I can't find a conceal carry option that works for me, I may have to. Thanks for sharing and wishing you the very best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been carrying my Shield Plus in a Blackhawk Serpa OWB holster and an untucked shirt nicely covers it. I've carried it in a cargo pocket but not a regular pants pocket.
Thank you... OWB holster. Never thought about that as an option as a concealed carry option. Cargo pocket would not work for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is in a DeSantis Mini Scabbard
Thank you! Will definitely check it out (it's currently out of stock at the DeSantis site). It will take some thinking differently and adjusting for me to move from IWB to OWB but if you say you're able to conceal it with a loose fitting T-Shirt I'll definitely explore that option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I pocket carry a Shield 9mm in a DeSantis pocket holster and I live in FL.
That sounds exactly like what I'm trying to do.

You carry a Shield 9MM? That should be the same size as the plus (from what I can see online)

Which DeSantis Pocket Holster do you have? There's a Nemesis and the Super Fly.

Thank you for letting me know you are able to do it and I will definitely give the DeSantis pocket holster a try. (I just ordered the Super Fly as that is what the website suggested.)

Thank you again for your suggestion and to everyone else's options as I figure out what works best in my case.... The appendix carry is simply not sustainable for me and I simply don't carry many times due to inconvenience.

Wishing everyone the very best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One final question if you don't mind me asking... I had tried to fit my unloaded gun in my jean pocket to see how it would fit and saw that a challenge I have is that my current jeans are inadequate for pocket carry.

The problems I see are:

1) The jeans don't have a wide enough opening to fit my hand and gun in
and
2) the pockets are not deep enough.

So... I will need to wear different pants that will accomodate the pocket carrying. I'm cool with upgrading my wardrobe to fit what's required and get looser clothes.

I'm thinking I could wear some looser Dickies (or Dockers) pants (although I haven't officially tried to see if my hand and gun fit), and trying to find jeans that will be a looser fit.

Do you have any suggestions on which kind of pants a Floridian could wear for everyday work and carry? I know that I could probably fit my piece in my Bermuda shorts (they're pretty loose fitting), but I can't wear Bermuda shorts all the time.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
185 Posts
The trick to being able to pocket carry a Shield/Shield Plus is the type of front pockets your pants have.
If your pants have a horizontal slash, it may be more difficult to pull out. You want to have pants with either a long Diagonal Slash, or a long Vertical slash.

The other key is, once your hand is in the pocket, can you make a fist (in the pocket) and withdraw your fist?
If you can't make a fist and easily withdraw your fist from the pocket, you won't be able to draw a pistol.

I can easily Front Pocket carry a Shield in 'Relaxed Fit' Wranglers and Very Easily Front Pocket carry in 5.11 'Apex' slacks. Heck... The 5.11 Apex Back Pockets are large enough to Back Pocket carry a Shield.

I pocket carry using a 'Blue Force Gear' Ultra Comp

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Pocket carry, the only handgun I pocket carry is a S&W M640-38Spl which is not employed as a primary EDC. The EDC-S&W Shield 9x19mm is carried in a belt holster with a cover garment or covered by an untucked shirt. If you want to pocket each to their own, its just not for me with the S&W Shield 9x19mm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The trick to being able to pocket carry a Shield/Shield Plus is the type of front pockets your pants have.
If your pants have a horizontal slash, it may be more difficult to pull out. You want to have pants with either a long Diagonal Slash, or a long Vertical slash.

The other key is, once your hand is in the pocket, can you make a fist (in the pocket) and withdraw your fist?
If you can't make a fist and easily withdraw your fist from the pocket, you won't be able to draw a pistol.

I can easily Front Pocket carry a Shield in 'Relaxed Fit' Wranglers and Very Easily Front Pocket carry in 5.11 'Apex' slacks. Heck... The 5.11 Apex Back Pockets are large enough to Back Pocket carry a Shield.

I pocket carry using a 'Blue Force Gear' Ultra Comp
Thanks for the suggestion on the type of front pockets. I found that problem with my current jeans... I got that "Monkey Fist" problem where I could not pull out my hand which is why I was wondering which kind of pants/jeans people had experience with. Thanks for the suggestion on the "Relaxed Fit" Wranglers (gonna order a pair) and will check out the 5.11 'Apex' as I've never seen them "in person" before.

Thanks also for the suggestion on the Blue Force Gear holster and link. It looks very straightforward and the Quick Draw Pocket Corner Snag looks like a very simple solution.

Tx!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pocket carry, the only handgun I pocket carry is a S&W M640-38Spl which is not employed as a primary EDC. The EDC-S&W Shield 9x19mm is carried in a belt holster with a cover garment or covered by an untucked shirt. If you want to pocket each to their own, its just not for me with the S&W Shield 9x19mm.
Thank you very much for your suggestions Dennis. Good to know that you manage with a belt holster and cover garment / untucked shirt.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
That sounds exactly like what I'm trying to do.

You carry a Shield 9MM? That should be the same size as the plus (from what I can see online)

Which DeSantis Pocket Holster do you have? There's a Nemesis and the Super Fly.

Thank you for letting me know you are able to do it and I will definitely give the DeSantis pocket holster a try. (I just ordered the Super Fly as that is what the website suggested.)

Thank you again for your suggestion and to everyone else's options as I figure out what works best in my case.... The appendix carry is simply not sustainable for me and I simply don't carry many times due to inconvenience.

Wishing everyone the very best.
I have the Nemesis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the Nemesis.
That was the answer I was looking for! Thank you. I bought both a De Santis Nemesis and a Super Fly (ordered both to see which would work best... they're very similar but at the price I wanted to try both.)

I can carry the Shield 9mm plus in my front pocket jeans quite unnoticeable. As far as pants, I got some Wrangler relaxed fit jeans and the pocket hole is large enough to fit the De Santis holster and the piece, and draw without any difficulty. Both the Nemesis and the Super Fly work. The Super Fly prints a bit less but at the same time it's bulkier. I feel like the Nemesis is the better choice.

Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.