Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top one is a 686-6, I like it because of it's sights, the front sight picks up light and the rear express sight gives a quick sight picture. A good woods companion, especially in the shade. . .The 2nd one is a 686-2, with adjustable front sight, it is somewhat of a tack driver.

Show me a picture of yours and tell me about it.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nickel119: The 5 inch barrel 686-6 with the High Viz sights was a "Stocking Dealer Special", and I believe it was a limited production model. S&W also made a Stocking Dealer Special 686-5 with a 5 inch barrel, but it had the full lug barrel as well as the
round butt and Hi-Viz sights. . .It was limited production with 500 being produced.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry for the lousy photography, but here's my 686-4:

Ok, so it's no longer a .357 Magnum... it's now a 5-shot .44 Special, courtesy of David Clements. It's a great shooter!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I dont own a 686 but my friend bought his wife one a while back and I went shooting with them and got to shoot it quite a bit. Its older pre lock version I forget the dash. But had a four inch barrel. I was impressed with the action and acuracy of it and wish I had bought the gun myself.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting conversion Doc - 44 special on a K-frame grip, as K and L's share the same
grip. Unfluted cylinder and a custom, looks like a 5 inch, barrel with the ejector rod
shroud cut-out. Does the rod lock up or do you have a ball detent lock on the crane?
44 special aficionados tailor their loads to get desired performance, and do well,despite
Venturino's views, right?

Onenut, I shot my last qualifiction with a 4 inch 686, I shot a perfect score, that hadn't
happened before. It was either the 686, or the tear gas grenade the sergeant threw
upwind of my position, it certainly wasn't me..........

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a couple of 686's. The first one is a:
686-3 4''bbl

The second is a:
686-5 2 1/2" bbl

Both are very accurate and are a hoot to shoot.
Bob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Triplelock said:
Interesting conversion Doc - 44 special on a K-frame grip, as K and L's share the same
grip. Unfluted cylinder and a custom, looks like a 5 inch, barrel with the ejector rod
shroud cut-out. Does the rod lock up or do you have a ball detent lock on the crane?
44 special aficionados tailor their loads to get desired performance, and do well,despite
Venturino's views, right?

Onenut, I shot my last qualifiction with a 4 inch 686, I shot a perfect score, that hadn't
happened before. It was either the 686, or the tear gas grenade the sergeant threw
upwind of my position, it certainly wasn't me..........
You're right - it sports a 5" slab-side bull barrel. There is a ball detent lock on the crane. I really love this revolver. It's much more pleasant to shoot than it was in its 6" .357 magnum guise. It's also an absolute tackdriver with the line-bored cylinder.

At some point I should probably buy a nice pair of wood grips for it. The Hogues are comfortable to shoot with, but they don't do much for it in the looks department.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I only have 3. My 6" is a favorite and would probably be "the one" if I could only have one handgun for the rest of my days. I later bought a 4" which sports CT grips. Then still later I ran across a pair of NHSP guns, a 66-1 (most of you know this gun because its the one with the lanyard loop) and a 686 4", they hadn't yet reached the store shelf, and I bought them both. All 3 686s are no dash guns. I had a CS-1 4" but I didn't like the round grip on the frame size and so I sold it off.

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
I love my 686 +. Great shooting firearm that is only slightly larger than my smallish hands, so I also own one:

BTW, excellent collection there, Zilmo! kfjdrfirii

1 - 12 of 12 Posts