Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be set up for reloading by the end of the year. I've got a press and brass. I've read a lot and have a couple books. Mostly interested in 38\357 and will branch from there to 44s\44m and 450bm. Maybe into some 45 super down the road. Seems like 2400 is the first powder I will buy. If anyone is willing to let me stop by and watch them reload strait wall, I'll buy components or maybe a beer or two or whatever. I'm just interested in seeing hands on. I've got a relative that used to reload a lot but it's been a long time and.. Well.. years are years. I'm Southeastern Ohio, frequent Columbus to Wheeling, Caldwell, woodsfield.
Appreciate your consideration.
Jeremiah

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Get your supplies from Powder Valley or Natchezz (inline) or Fin Feather and Fur (at the store), best pricing. Brass from Starline and dies from Hornady or Lee. Far as books go, every reloading manual will have the usual 'how to reload' instructions in them. I recommend either a Sierra or Hornady reloading manual and whatever you do, don't deviate from the published (SAMMI) specs for powder charge and seating depth as called out in the manuals. Learn what to look for as far as failed brass neck cracking from crimping) and setting primers properly.

Have fun.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Greetings mate, you won’t save you will shoot more.. don’t tell wifey.

Thewelshm

·
Registered
11,802 Posts
I started reloading 4 or 5 years ago. I chose a Lee classic turret press, and watched videos of it in use, along with tons of other reloading videos. I read 2 manuals and spent months in forums reading up on things, then I set up my press. I check data from 2 or 3 sources and pay attention to details. I have a routine and stick to it. I started with 38/357 and 45acp. Have since added 380,9mm and 40. Its not hard, just follow directions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was in a pawn shop and saw a red press for$30. I thought that that was about right. I looked further and it was a turret press. Came with a set of 22-250 dies and nothing else worth mentioning. But I was glad to snag the press.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wifey is soon to be ex wifey. There's a lot that sucks about that but I'm free to do what I want in life and don't have to run anything by anyone. I bought three guns, five soft pistol cases and some ammo yesterday. I'm the only one who has a say, and I said "hell yeah!"

·
Registered
418 Posts
Been reloading since 1967. Best advice I can give you is do not get creative. Follow published loads and stay within the range of "starting" and "do not exceed" loads for powder.

Note that reduced charges below the "starting" load can be VERY dangerous with many powders. I know that seems counter intuitive but it's true.

Hector

1 - 10 of 10 Posts