Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I've never used coated bullets. What do you like about them? I've been thinking of trying them. I've always cut Lee Alox with mineral spirits in a bowl and rolled my lead wadcutters in it and let 'em dry overnight. Can be a bit messy.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never used coated bullets. What do you like about them? I've been thinking of trying them. I've always cut Lee Alox with mineral spirits in a bowl and rolled my lead wadcutters in it and let 'em dry overnight. Can be a bit messy.
The bullets I have been using are super clean. The coating seems to leave a slight white residue on the inside of the barrel but nothing more. One pass with a snake and the barrel is spotless. I have used them for 38 and mildish .357 using 7.5gr of Longshot and 6.9gr of HP38. Mostly I use them for 38 with 4.5gr of hp38.

No smoke, no smell no mess and you just wipe out the inside of the barrel. And .. its about 1/2 the cost of jacketed. I really like them! I have tried berrys and Zero but the coated are my favorites for revolver and they seem to be working out well in my Henry as well.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
I switched from using mostly plated to coated bullets a couple years ago, and love them. I had tried some cast lead but the coated are so much cleaner to handle and shoot

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have gone to coated over plated and will never go back. They are as accurate, clean and much cheaper. You can also push them hard with no leading. I have used the same data as jacketed with great results. I have never seen anyone offering a coated lead in a HP.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have gone to coated over plated and will never go back. They are as accurate, clean and much cheaper. You can also push them hard with no leading. I have used the same data as jacketed with great results. I have never seen anyone offering a coated lead in a HP.
Federal used to sell a blue coated LSWC-HP +P but for some reason they quit making them. They also had a 125 grain .38 in a blue coated HP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts