Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Anyone for really old guns?

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Viss 
#1 ·
I just snagged this at a gunshow today.
Looks to be an M&P 1905 4th change S/N 2491XX 98%, no rust or pitting, looks barely ever fired, from about 1916. Anyone think otherwise?
Dealer had no idea what he had and doesn't care as long as it sells for more than he has in it.
Paid $279 OTD! :mrgreen: Enjoy!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow Dick, Very Nice!

I saw one recently that was in almost the same condition for $695 and I'm still considering it. I think the example I found is easily a $600 gun.

Based upon the patent date stamp location and the stock patterns, your 1916 date is likely pretty close.

Nice snag.

Drew

#5 ·
Man that is sweet! 1916...isn't it interesting how close to perfection these shooters were way back then, improvements are hard to apply when you have so little left to improve upon! Nice find and picture!

#7 ·
Sebago Son said:
Wow Dick, Very Nice!

I saw one recently that was in almost the same condition for $695 and I'm still considering it. I think the example I found is easily a $600 gun.

Based upon the patent date stamp location and the stock patterns, your 1916 date is likely pretty close.

Nice snag.

Drew
Thanks Drew, that's about what I had it pegged at too. The bluing is definately original. The amazing thing is the stocks are in near perfect shape except for that little dent you can see at the top of the right diamond. Almost no turn line and just a hint of muzzle wear. I still can't believe this one survived in this condition. I wonder who's drawer it laid in all these years?

#9 ·
Nice snag Dick!
If you ever pull the side plate, you will find the inside of it jeweled. The parts inside that are next to the frame have shoulders built into them {to act like bearings in movement} and a screw in the bolt to hold it in place against the plunger, to keep the spring compressed for disassembly {S&W discontinued those things as a cost cutting measure back in the 20s :mrgreen: }

#10 ·
azmick said:
Nice snag Dick!
If you ever pull the side plate, you will find the inside of it jeweled. The parts inside that are next to the frame have shoulders built into them {to act like bearings in movement} and a screw in the bolt to hold it in place against the plunger, to keep the spring compressed for disassembly {S&W discontinued those things as a cost cutting measure back in the 20s :mrgreen: }
Thanks, I never knew that. I usually don't get into guns this old. I'll look into it, but not now, I am still savoring the find.
I just realized this was posted in the wrong section. Sorry!

#12 ·
Flat out spectacular, and you can't beat that price. Somebody surely left some money on the table in its recent history for you to get it that low. Congratulations!

David Wilson

#13 ·
DCW said:
Flat out spectacular, and you can't beat that price. Somebody surely left some money on the table in its recent history for you to get it that low. Congratulations!

David Wilson
Thanks David. The dealer is the biggest in Florida and like Bud's sells about 2000 plus guns a month. He probably had $150 in trade in the gun and to him it's just an old M&P and will move them along at just about any profit an get on with selling the "plastic" stuff. He doesn't have time to look them over too much.
I once traded him a used, but not abused, nickel 27-2 that I only had about $350 into for a 28 no dash with what appeared to be wearing faux ivory grips, plus he threw in $50, a box of .357 and payed the fees. It turned out the grips were real perfect ivory (once I got outside and could see in daylight) which I later sold for $350, so I figure I ended up with a free gun, $50 and shells! nfiofnp I've never told him about it though.

#15 ·
Good for you. As you say, if he made a profit, what does the dealer care. I have encountered a few of these deals. I got a model 1917 in really nice shape for $300.00 a year or so ago. It wasn't in the display case 24 hrs before I came in. A few of us speculated that they knew and just wanted to move it because they also move alot of guns. As a collector I was happy to buy it and the dealer seemed happy to make a quick sale.

That is a great find. I hope you enjoy it. Nice price. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.