Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple days ago, I purchased one of my grail guns, a S&W, 29-2, blue steel, 6 1/2 inch barrel, "S" serial # dating 1967, with box docs and tools in beautiful condition for $800.00.
I took it to my work bench to lube and check everything.
I removed the thumb latch and the screw stud that attaches to the bolt came out.
I removed the hammer and tried to peen the part back into place with no luck.
I gave up and shipped it to the factory today as they said I would not be able to fix it and they would have to fit a new bolt.
Never had this happen before and didn't know that the stud was able to come out of the bolt.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Jeez, that sucks.

To answer your question: No. I've had other things happen. Like, little springs go whizzing past my nose on their way to oblivion or, those little index pins for the extractor star fall out, roll off the bench and take up residence with those little springs.

Do you remember Tarzan and the elephant grave yard - where all good elephants go to die? All that elephant ivory just lying about, waiting to be picked up and sold for a fortune? There must be a place like that for little springs, small parts and index pins that get lost. If I ever find that place, I'll be rich!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quarter Cherokee, I think I have one of those dark secret holes too, one of these days I'm going to drag the basement with a magnet and go in the parts business.

500 Magnum Nut, I tend to believe also that someone over tightened it and broke it off.

When it comes back home I'll post pic's of it and it's twin in nickle, an "S" series also.

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Catdad. The factory will take care of you though.

On a bright note, congrats on finding the gun. When you get it back, I'm sure you will be happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts