Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prolly a carryover from my BP guns...but there are some fine cartridge rifles capable of great accuracy in the single shot format. Ruger No's1 to NEF Handi-Rifles are a real hoot to shoot. They all suffer from the usual barrel harmonics, bedding issues, etc...of all long rifles. But you can really customize your handloads to the rifles and index your cartridges to a specific gun. Fire formed brass allows you to just resize the neck. What I'm suggesting is that there are some advantages to the single shot...

Mine run the gamut from .22 Hornet up to 45/90. Most likely, one of those will be the rifle I take to a gun range. And a couple are for hunting.

Anywhoo, who's got them?

giz

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
:mrgreen:
I have one, kind of.
The Encore 7X307 pistol barrel is 17 3/4" long and a friends daughter shot her mulie with it in rifle form.
Barb has a 22-250 barrel for the Encore frame, I have a 270 barrel and the 209X50 barrel for the same frame. All of these are T/C factory barrels {well, the 7X307 started that way} and all of them are sub MOA barrels with multible loads/bullets.
The grand daughter has a Rossi single shot combo gun with a 22LR barrel and a 410 barrel.
I have found that I need to just 'bump' the shoulder back a hair on the bottle neck cases to have them chamber correctly. I firmly believe that in break open guns, the cartridge headspaces on the breach and not the shoulder. Without bumping the shoulder back, the fired case is fireformed to the breach face and Encores need about .002 for the locking lugs/action to operate properly. The Contender works the same way, with the same issues. I think the H&R will shoot a bit better if the sized cartridges are sized like that also. As far as a .002 feeler gauge goes, Reynolds Wrap is .002 :D
Some of my 7X307 brass has been fired over ten times and no trimming has been needed, no split, bulged, or 'issues' have been found with any of the cases. I bought 100 307 cases a few years ago when I had the barrel reamed to 7X307 and have never got into the second bag of 50 and some of the original 50 have never been fired. I never 'pushed the envelope' of what the gun/cartridge might be capable of {accuracy kills game, not speed} until I pushed it a bit looking for the 500 yard load. I dropped it back down to 2300 FPS as a few inches elevation at that range did not warrant the flattened primers kubvcabo
Single shots/muzzle loaders can be a challenge but ,,,,,,,, I prefer them over semi auto loaders

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have a #1RSI in 7X57, with a Weaver K3 given to me by BMCGilvary, and she is a dream to shoot. The other is a little Rossi .357Mag that I picked up for a trade. Haven't gotten to shoot her yet, but she will get to the range soon.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Single shot rifles are a curse and a sickness. They are to be avoided at all costs. Reasonably stable gun cranks have been known to reject all other types of rifle actions in pursuit of the ultimate single shot.

Firearm locks are furnished with each new handgun. Strait jackets should be furnished with each single shot rifle.

xtm

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Leighton, Have you considered a rechamber on the Rossi to 357Max ? It has some impressive numbers from a long barrel and no barrel/cylinder gap
The Ruger is a classic all the way around kjdfjemnd

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Azmick, I hadn't thought about that for the Rossi, I just figured it would make a neat little camp rifle. Its one of those that if it gets dinged, or scraped, it would just add caracter to her. I've got the scope rail ordered from Rossi for her, will probably mount an aimpoint or low powered scope.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
This is my favorite single shot - a 1882 Maynard #16 offhand target rifle made by Massachusetts Arms Co. The primary chambering is .32-35, which was the predecessor to .32-40 and is still around. The Maynards were a tip-up design that allowed a change of barrels in just a few seconds. The design is different from a shotgun-type tip-up breech in that there is a slight camming-action to seat the cartridge when levering the action closed.

Although the rifle was built primarily for use as a 200yd target gun, I have companion barrels chambered in .40-70 Maynard Express and .64 cal. (20ga.) shotgun. Quick barrel change versatility is nothing new.

I only shoot a black powder/SR4759 duplex charge in it.

xtm

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
azmick said:
Leighton, Have you considered a rechamber on the Rossi to 357Max ? It has some impressive numbers from a long barrel and no barrel/cylinder gap
The Ruger is a classic all the way around kjdfjemnd

I was going to ask the same question.... I once had an H&R Topper that was marked .357 Magnum and it would chamber a Maximum.... like an idiot (and gunsnob) I traded it off before I shot it.... wish now I had kept it.... I wonder if the Rossi's will chamber a Max round as well?

These should make for neat camp and truck guns.... I see that on paper some Maximum stats look more like light bullet .38-55 loads than a revolver round. I bet they'd work well on smaller medium thinskinned game like southern whitetails....

The only Single I have now is a H&R in .22 Jet.

You boys keep tawkin' and I might just have to change that! :cool:

Drew

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Drew, I'm sure you could probably swipe one of Giz's. He's got so many, he won't miss it for a month or so. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Leighton said:
Drew, I'm sure you could probably swipe one of Giz's. He's got so many, he won't miss it for a month or so. :mrgreen:
If'n I'm gonna swipe anything at Giz' house it ain't gonna be a gun.... but another serving of Jule's Apple Crisp? Yup.... No maybe about it .... :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jules and her Flintlock...she's another that like's single shots ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think you could say so...

Martinis in 22 and 45/70.

Rolling Block in 30-30, Stevens and Savage 22s, and an H&R Trapdoor in 45/70.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The older I get, the more I like a single shot. I currently have a Ruger #1 7MM Mag that I've had for about 30 years. Also in my collection is a Browning 1885 BPCR and a BSA Cadet rifle (.310). To my surprise, it seems that single shot .22's tend to multiply in my safe. My two favorites are the H&R M-12 and the Kimber.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Back in 1976, I bought a Ruger #1 Standard Rifle in .270 with the Bicentennial stamp on the barrel. It had the most beautifully figured walnut stock on it that I had ever seen on an American factory-made rifle, and it was superbly accurate right out of the box. All I ever had to do to get 1/2" MOA out of it was careful handloads and a little rubber washer under the forend.

After several years, I noticed that rust was forming where the stock touched the action and was growing outward onto the flat sides of the action! :eek: I pulled off the buttstock and attempted to arrest the rust growth by sealing off the wood where it touched the action..... but No Joy. :|

After some correspondence and a long-distance diagnosis of salt-cured wood, I got the OK to send it back to the factory. Some weeks later, it came back to me wearing the plainest wood that I had ever seen on any #1 anywhere - ordinary Mossberg quality, if you know what I mean! Also, the wood-metal fit was shamefully poor and unworthy of the Ruger shop. I could've managed to overlook these things, but I could never get it to shoot a decent group ever again - so I traded it off.

I envy you folks who have had such good luck with all of your Rugers and Ruger customer service! I've bought 5 brand new Ruger firearms over the years, but the only one that I've kept is a super-reliable Bicentennial Mini-14.

xtm

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
xtm the browning superposed had the same problem with salt cured stocks. That has to be the dumbest way of curing wood I ever heard of.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts