Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had three 7 shot revolvers and I currently have NO 7 shot revolvers. I just dont know what it is about them. I know that most everything should be the same as it is on a 6 shot but .. 6 shot revolvers just feel and shot better for me. Is it the timing, is it that is what I learned to shot .. I dont know but ... am I the only weirdo that prefers the 6 shot for shooting and damned be the extra round?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I prefer the standard six shots. Of course, they do not offer the 45 ACP any other way, in a revolver.

In other cartridges I would still choose six. Why? For 5 decades I have counted to six when shooting competition or practice. No way I could unlearn that.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I like 7 shots in my EDC for obvious reasons. I shoot my 64 3 inch regularly and love it. I guess that is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
By default due to not buying many newer S&W's with the 7 or 8 round cylinders, 99% of mine are conventional 6 shot revolvers. The only 6+ revolver I have is a 986 and the extra round really doesn't make a difference to me.

I'm just too old school from my training back in the early 70's when I became a LEO, and 6 shot revolvers were the norm. You we taught, drilled and qualified on making the most of the 6 shots.... none of this 15+ "spray and pray" nonsense.

Also, after years of Cowboy Action shooting with a SA handgun loaded with 5 rounds, going back to a modern DA with 6 rounds, made those look just wonderful... so I've not missed having more than 6 shots in a revolver.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Other then J frames, I have two that hold over 6. one is a 7 shot 686, the other a 10 shot 617. The 7 shot revolver shoots fine but it does seem kind of strange having the 7th shot. The 617 with 10 rounds doesnt seem strange at all, probably because most semi automatic 22s hold 10

·
Registered
17,456 Posts
I have a 627 8 shot I use with moon clips for bowling pin and steel shoots for centerfire. I have some pistols but prefer the revolvers by far. The eight shot lets me give the bottom feeders a run for their money and even win.
I do have a soft spot for the older classy six shots.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
i prefer SIX SHOT revolvers I believe that the timing on the cylinders are way better . and the trigger stacking is easier to feel and use to you shooting advantage

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
Makes no difference to me. I've only shot five, six and eight shot revolvers. One thing about the 8 shot Model 317; get a speed loader!

·
Registered
22,025 Posts
I have 5 and 6 shot revolvers and prefer the 6 shot version of course, depending on what I am carrying.

Reactions: Boriqua and jeepnut

·
Registered
149 Posts
A few months back I found a used but in excellent shape 686 Mountain Gun, 7 shot, around only 2000 made in 1998. One of the best shooting revolvers I have ever owned. With 7 loaded and three HKS 587 speed loaders ready to go, I don't feel undergunned (if I ever needed that much firepower, I should have been somewhere else!!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts