Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’ve carried my X-Framed 460V openly in a shoulder setup that I designed. That’s alot of stainless steel (3lbs 14oz unloaded (per the local UPS store) – I’ve never had it weighed loaded), and at that weight, you always know it’s there, but I’ve carried for 4-5 hours without an issue. I’ve also carried it in the 9 o’clock position in a cross-draw configuration on a 2” belt that I use with my jeans. With that arrangement, it isn’t uncomfortable, but it keeps pulling down the left side of my trousers, which is why I went with the shoulder arrangement. And, as for spare ammunition, I have a cartridge case that I made that holds 5 replacements. I figure if 10 .45 LC’s won’t do it – I’m screwed anyway. I’ve also open carried my L-Framed 4” 686 in the aforementioned cross-draw arrangement, and at 2½ lbs empty (also per the local UPS store), you also know it’s there, but I don’t experience any “trouser droop”. Regards . . .
I carry my 460V in a shoulder holster. IMO that's the only practical way to carry it.

A 4" steel N frame would be pretty much the limit for me on a belt.

I'm zeroing in on these:

Simply rugged
Tribute5.jpg

or
Lobo gun leather

https://lobogunleather.com/owb-outside-the-waist-band/model-1-pancake/

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Both good choices. I used a pancake for a short while. Did not like that it took two hands to rebooted. Had one that was boned to shape that did a better job but it would still collapse on occasion.

Kevin
I think Kramer has a band in theirs so it holds its shape. No thumb break though.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If the holster is constructed properly a thumb strap is not needed. The welt should hold your revolver securely. Both the Threeperson and the Brill styles got this correct. A thumbsnap was added to a loose fit holster.

Kevin
Not necessarily retention, but security. ;)

·
Registered
20,512 Posts
I have CC'd my 4" 28-2 in a cross draw holster at 4 O-clock with no problem. But that's on rare occasion.;)

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Settled on the Lobo. Should be here in 7 weeks or so.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,508 Posts
I don't really carry a N-frame as a carry concealed weapon. I carry a small S&W Shield 9 mm on my waist with a small K-frame on my ankle.

I use a Sneaky Pete waist holsters (ads in NRA mags). It looks like a normal waist thing:
holster

Shield:

Back on subject, I do carry one or two N-frames in my car. I have bucket seats with two Model 27 3 1/2" loaded with .357 Magnum hollow points behind the front passenger seats and easily accessed from the driver's seat.

Georgia is a Castle Law State so loaded guns are permitted in a car, business, and home with no permit. The permit is required away from the car.

Reactions: Boriqua
21 - 29 of 29 Posts