Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got quite a few,but have taken no pics. I did,however,finally upload a few of the makers' pics. This is a heavy damascus bowie with a bone handle. The blade is carbon steel and has 512 layers. That means it's been forged,hammered and folded nine times. Blade is 6.5".

f.t.

G

·
0 Posts
Stunning, I'm not into Bowie's but that one could definitely change my mind... ;)

Who is the maker? They definitely have a great eye. That one seems to flow together....

giz

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
c pierce said:
F.T. What kind of steel do they use for a damascus blade. :?:
It varies,but it's a mix of high carbon (1095) and low carbon (15N20) for this knife. Checks out at 58 hrc on the Rockwell Scale. The maker is M. Klaas.
f.t.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FT,
Ever get a chance ck.out Wild Bill Caldwell's stuff,he did 1,ooo,ooo,ooo layers! Course he says Clesten Synard did the best damascus!Bill does custom guns now.
Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll do it Jim. If I'm not mistaken,some of the old Samurai swords would rival that total. Those things would cut a man in two from shoulder to hip with the ease of a hot knife through butter. Or so I've been told.
f.t.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
f.t.,

That big knife is a real beauty - all the way from the choice of material and design of the handle to the tip of the blade. Everything is proportioned so perfectly, you really can't tell how large it really is!

I don't have a big knife, but someone gave my son this big Buck 124 when he went into the USAF. He put it on his web belt in his "ready kit" in the vehicle, but the gate guards at one of his AFBs kept telling him to leave it off-base - so he sent it home! :lol:

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Even though its not a custom knife, I do like the heft and feel of my Boker Bowie.
Its the big one in the middle.

Then I have my large Puma's. Carbon steel and stag.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love the Pumas. White Hunter,Bowie and a couple of Pals,right? All Pumaster steel. Nice!
f.t.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Nope not White Hunters. These are twice the size. They are the Waidblatt SuperSet 15" total length, with the smaller Jagnicker. The other is by its self is called the Ruddeman, its one of Puma's Sidearm series. The Bowies are 14" total in length.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool!
f.t.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FT,
I've seen some of those swords that run from $25,000 to $75,OOO
& these were NOT his expensive ones.Remember if you have a damascus blade keep it oiled,cause she will rust in a heartbeat!! I can remember when damascus would cost you $100 an inch.If you ever get a chance to p/uthe book BATTLE BLADES by Greg Walker...you will see a combat folder by WILD BILL, cost was $2,500!! Nope... no jewels or gold trim, not fancy....I have the last one BILL made ...handle is Purple Heart...got it maybe 10 yrs.ago.
Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Jim! I'll take a dozen! You pick 'em up for me and I'll send you a check. :lol:
f.t.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
That sure is a beauty, Sir.

I am not a big knike collector, though I do appreciate fine examples. I have several pocket knives kicking around the house and a couple of fixed blades as well.

My only big knife comes to me through the Karma'ed generocity of our own F150guy. Thanks again pal. :cool:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My pleasure Shaun. glad you took photos of her. She still looks pretty sexy, If I may say so.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well,if I ever need to quarter an elk,this should do the job.

f.t.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Wow FT! That is some pretty Damascus. I really want a smaller Damascus blade but they are pretty pricey.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts