Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious: any Sako fans here?

I have a 1968 or '69 vintage Finnbear in '06 that I bought new in '69. Really nice rifle! It wasn't the cheapest, but it was the most gun for the money at the time, and the only commercially made non-magnum then available with a 24-inch barrel.

Bill

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Hey Bill.......you forgot the picture! We all get off on your amazing collection. It's kinda like eating M&M's. The more we see.....the more we want to see!!! Bob

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'm a long time fan of Sako rifles. While in Germany - mid seventies through early eighties, I managed to buy a few. As stated, they were a great gun for the money. They're expensive now, but then, and because I bought them through the Rod & Gun, they were inexpensive. So much so that I managed to buy several for my brother. He wanted the full-stock version. That's what he got. When he died, 11 years ago, his wife gave them back to me. Now I have two of each.

I shoot my brother's rifles. He never did; he said they were too pretty.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sakos are like Cadilacs For the longest time most people I know who built a custom rifle always bought a sako action to build on.Which incidently gives me ideas I cannot afford like 99 per cent of them that cross my mind.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know a lot about the FinnWolf, except it was an extemely well-made lever action offered in useful calibers.

I suspect its problem was, in the huge US/Canadian lever action market, it had to compete with all the Brownings, Marlins and Winchesters, not to mention the Savage 99s and the Winchester 88s -- all this in a market that was overwhelmingly going to, and attracted by, a lot of very fine and competitively priced bolt actions in every caliber you could usefully imagine.

But if I had an unlimited budget? Hell, yes! I'd have a Finnwolf in every caliber manufactured. I just love lever actions!

Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
Posted before but, she's so pretty.

Sako AIII Finnbear, in .30-06. She's about ten years newer the your's Smithfan.
Absolutely the smoothest bolt gun I've ever operated.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bruce, yours and mine look an awful lot alike. The only complaint I ever had with mine was, the factory stock didn't quite fit me -- but that's my problem, not the factory's.

I have short legs for my heighth, and a long torso and arms. Myabe that's why I gravitated so well to the Savage model 99: it's configuration fit me like a pretty good shotgun (tho I have had others tell me they didn't like the Savage stock dimensions, ' cause it didn't fit them too well. Go figure...)

But the Sako bolt actions are incredible and impressive. Don't know if they're still making (or importing 'em, at least) this way, but mine came with a BOFORS barrel.

FWIW, BOFORS is an acronymn for a Scandanavian consortium (the actual name it stands for is long and I can neither spell it nor pronounce it) that were (and are) makers of cannons and other military ordnance of excellent quality. Their barrels were a selling point for sporting arms throughout the Scandanavian countries.

Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
onenut58 - Thanks.

Smithfan - LOP is a bit long on mine. Not enuf to alter it tho. No BOFORS marking on the barrel either. I believe the BOFORS marking would make yours Pre-Garcia which enhances any collectors value.

Might want to check these guys out for more Sako stuff.
http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/forum/
Lot of good stuff here.

Bruce

1 - 11 of 11 Posts