Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been using ear muffs for a long time: first Peltor and lately Walker electronic. The walkers are barely adequate on the outdoor range, but I like the fact that I can carry on a conversation and hear range commands with them. Recently, after reading good reviews, I ordered a pair of Walker Silencer Bluetooth earplugs. They are great for listening to music, not so much for sound suppression. I tried them one time and, after 6 rounds of .357 took them out and packed them away. They were almost as good as the old trick of using cigarette filters for emergency sound suppression.
So, are there any sound suppression earplugs that allow conversation but kick in an effective clipping feature with concussive (gunshot) sounds? In the interim I’m back to my electronic ear muffs with supplemental foam earplugs indoors.

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
For shotgun only, I wear electronic Peltors; for metallic I wear foam plugs AND those Peltors and i can hear decently enough as far anyone calling for a cold range. I know some folks who use electronic ear plugs - they need to be fitted - and they are NOT cheap; think great hearing aids in reverse
This brand I see the most:

Again, that is on the shotgun courses......I am not a metallic competitor; what do the 3-gun and similar games crowd use so they can hear the timer and the commands?

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
I had those done one time at a gun show; they never did fit just perfectly after drying and any loud crack hurt; they went away.
The thing a lot of folks do not realize is that the mastoid bone around your ear, if left unprotected, transmits noise vibrations to your middle and inner ear which can lead to hearing loss; you not only have to protect from the sounds going IN the ear, but also around it

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’ve been using ear muffs for a long time: first Peltor and lately Walker electronic. The walkers are barely adequate on the outdoor range, but I like the fact that I can carry on a conversation and hear range commands with them. Recently, after reading good reviews, I ordered a pair of Walker Silencer Bluetooth earplugs. They are great for listening to music, not so much for sound suppression. I tried them one time and, after 6 rounds of .357 took them out and packed them away. They were almost as good as the old trick of using cigarette filters for emergency sound suppression.
So, are there any sound suppression earplugs that allow conversation but kick in an effective clipping feature with concussive (gunshot) sounds? In the interim I’m back to my electronic ear muffs with supplemental foam earplugs indoors.
I have been using these.

They work well for handguns indoors and rifles outdoors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Simple foam inserts usually have the best noise reduction numbers. Howard Leight Super Leight inserts are 33 NRR, one of the highest I have found. Even so, when shooting handguns I wear muffs over those.

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
For handgun competitions we limit the calibers to 22 up to 38 special and 45 ACP. The electronic earmuffs work great in this case. If using magnums or rifle loads I use a pair of custom made ear plugs (two part foam like Jonesy mentioned) and the muffs. The plugs and muffs help with the decibel reduction and the muffs help with pressure wave impact reduction. Will say the custom fitted ear plugs do make it hard to hear as they do an excellent job of fitment and noise reduction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts