Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a box in the pawn shop the other day, the box looks older but the ammo is bright and shiny and clean. It’s a 110 gr, looks like hard cast lead hollow point in a nickel case and it’s +p. Couldn’t find much information on it, are these ok defense rounds? Any one have a clue about velocity?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey D,

Yellow box? Blue "X" in the middle? "Western" in red letters?

Oh yeah! Rock your world!

If I recall it was almost as "hot" as "Super Vel".

Will say, only use it in a firearm in good condition. (don't pop any in an old "9mm Largo" by mistake) LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
White box red X. I would be shooting it in a 357 so I figured it would be good to go. I can’t remember if it said super vel or not but I want to say it does.

·
Super Moderator
19,363 Posts
Those are more than likely all reloads. The head stamps are not all the same. I see 4 different head stamps in the box. And since you said there were different bullets in them you really don't know what's what.

I wouldn't shoot them thru any of my guns. You don't have any idea how or when they were loaded, and you have no idea what the powder is, or what the powder load is either.

Tear them down and reuse the casings. Throw away the bullets, and burn off the powder for a little fun.

Be safe, don't risk destroying your gun over an unknown like this.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few of them are older factory Winchester’s. I saw the exact same load on gunbroker. So I got about 6 factory out of 50. But that being said I shy away from reloads. At least I didn’t pay much for the box. Live and learn.

·
Registered
17,442 Posts
As long as ammo hs been stored sealed or in conditioned environments should work very nicely. I have some 32-30 from the 60s and it is a blast (pun intended).

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
It must have been good stuff The U.S. Marshall's service used it a service ammo when the carried revolvers in the Federal Court Houses ..

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Super-Vel was a brand, most marked LE only. 110 grain was an LE fad the high water mark was the +P+ Treasury load. I never saw any that were not semi-jacketed. I have to echo the above advice to treat them as reloads. And, as mentioned light hot bullets associated with cracked forcing cones. Also, you do not push lead cast bullets at those speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Oh Man! I'd hold onto those just for photo props. Nobody would ever notice the mixed headstamps. They'd look great with a period revolver.

I've got an old box from a box of Winchester 000 buckshot I bought about 1975 or so. The only time in my life I ever bought a full box of 25, 3" buckshot. It was the only way you could get them in those days.

I've still got 4 or 5 of the shells left. I always really favored number 1 buckshot. I'll probably never shoot them, but it's cool to still have the box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts