Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a model 19-3 from a FBI agent. He used it in an ankle holster until he went to auto. It has the original grip and is in great condition. The serial number is 1K51867. Does anyone know anything about this gun? History, Worth? thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,894 Posts
Kind of a large ankle gun but I've known guys to pocket carry N frames. :eek:

The serial number puts this gun leaving the factory in 1971 if I am reading the book correctly.

Welcome to the forum. Any pictures?

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A good M19 would brun around $400-450 in my corner of the hills.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My S&W Model 19-3

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

This shows the before and after shots of my 19-3. I added larger grips, from S&W, as well as a laser sight. There is also a picture of the gun's ID.
Any comments?
Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just a question. Why would you put larger target grips and a bulky laser sight on a snub nose, thus making it less concealable, it's intended purpose. Makes no sense to me, but then I don't know what your intended use is.

·
Super Moderator
32,969 Posts
New house gun? I am like Dick/diamondback on curious for use. Looks like a pretty good new to you revolver!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I only use it for target practice. I don't carry it and think it's a great target gun. Do most carry it around?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the use of this site. I really enjoy using my gun and was wondering it's history. I shoot both 38's and 357 mags through it and only wondered what the rest of the gun world thought of the gun. Not how I was using it. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
A model 19 is one of the best & most durable .38/.357's in any crowd. I have one I inherited from my father-in-law that has been carried a few thousand rough miles and I'm still not in the least worried about using it. I liked it well enough to buy another one just because the price was right & they are really great guns. Your round-butt, short barreled combination would make a fine carry gun or target gun. Tracing the history gets a little tough but you could get it lettered from S&W to find out it's original destination.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Looks like a clean gun, I have one in nickel, and blue, just never seen a 2 1/2 inch with target grips and a laser. That would bring $500+ around here

·
Super Moderator
32,969 Posts
I only use it for target practice. I don't carry it and think it's a great target gun. Do most carry it around?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the use of this site. I really enjoy using my gun and was wondering it's history. I shoot both 38's and 357 mags through it and only wondered what the rest of the gun world thought of the gun. Not how I was using it. Am I wrong?
Many do carry them...we just like hearing stories from new members and to get to know them. Short of getting it lettered it is hard to get any information on the history. The model 19 is a very popular revolver put out by S&W.

·
Registered
19,912 Posts
Frank, Though it was designed to be a carry gun.......you have the right to use it anyway you see fit! Afterall, it's your gun!
I remember seeing shooter, Bob Munden, use a M-36 snubby to make target shots at 100 yds.. He was remarkably accurate! Bob

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I think the model 19 two and a half inch is a versatile gun, I have the stainless version model 66 and it has been a comfort on a few dark nights. As far as a target gun choice, I’d opt for something with a longer barrel, but how you use ‘your’ gun is strictly your business and as Bob K mentions, short barrels can be quite accurate. As to what it is worth – the local gun-shop has a 4 inch model 19 priced at $575.oo; I’d think a two and a half (in like condition) would be worth more. Hank

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
My 2 1/2 inch 19 nickel, with Crimson Trace grips sits on my nightstand. I keep it loaded with +P's, the 357 fired indoors without hearing protection is REALLY loud. I have used J's, K's, and L's for nightstand duty but the short 19 wins out.

·
Super Moderator
32,969 Posts
I only wish I had something rare enough to warrant the letter.
I know what you mean...we don't own anything rare, but at the same time $50 is about what I will spend on a bottle or two of quality 'adult beverage', so it really isn't that much. Bad when I can remember when I DID think $50 was a bit of money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got confirmation that S&W cashed my $50 check for my letter. Soon, I should be getting it and will let you know the results.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Just got confirmation that S&W cashed my $50 check for my letter. Soon, I should be getting it and will let you know the results.
Let us know when you recieve the letter, I am thinking about getting one for my Pre Model 28 I just picked up..............Ray

1 - 20 of 48 Posts