Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
32 S & W hammerless safety. 5 shot. Top break. Serial# 137800. Any information would be appreciated. How old is it. Approximate value. In excellent condition except for the bottom of one grip is cracked.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Looks like a 32 safety hammerless 2nd model made 1902 to 1909. Yours would fall into the middle of the year range. Looks very nice, most likely worth between 200 and 400. 3 and 3-1\2" barrels most common. They were either blue or nickel. I find that the nickel seems to be more common than the blue. Most of mine that I have acquired are nickel. I prefer the blue, I think it ages better

·
Registered
17,456 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. Does say on the barrel if it is 32 Short or Long or just 32 S&W? Cylinder looks like for shorts. Modern ammo will work fine and it is a fun little gun. Might be able to get the grip repaired or just save them and buy a new set to shoot with.

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! It appears that your safety hammerless looks very good because it was refinished outside the factory at some point in its life. It could be the illumination, but it looks like the trigger and trigger guard are blued when they are case colored from the factory. Another "tell" is if the horns on the barrel latch are blued. They are in the white on an original finish, IIRC.

Anyway, it's a nice looking gun. They only shoot .32 S&W cartridges which some folks call ".32 Short." Even though these guns were made during the black powder era, modern ammo is safe to shoot in them.

·
Registered
22,028 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Like the design/style of the older revolvers. Keep us up to date if you decide to take it out to the range.:)

·
Banned
1,974 Posts
All I know is I wish it was mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts