Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W 32 cal revolver. I hope the pic is attached. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the model, possible year of manufacture, and should I shoot it? I have a reputable gun shop near me and they do sell the correct ammo., however I haven't brought the gun in so, over the phone their guess is as good as it can be I suppose.
One more question. I don't want to offend the gun's heritage or it's history. Would it be a breach of proper gun ownership to try and re-blue the gun and maybe add some nicer wood grips to preserve the firearm and clean it up a bit?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I am not sure it is a S&W. Additional photographs of any/all marking will help us.

Refinishing is a personal choice. It is costly if done correctly and worthless if done incorrectly. Either way it rarely increases the value of the firearm. New stocks however are easy to do and non permanent.

Kevin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have raised a legitimate question. I won't actually get my hands on the gun until tomorrow. A buddy of mine picked it up for me because he knew I always wanted a 32 caliber revolver. He says it's a S&W, however I cannot confirm until I get it. Interesting.....could be an H&R or something similar. Will report back tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out it's not a Smith. It's an Iver Johnson. I'm not very familiar with that brand but I guess I'll have to check it out when I get it. Thanks everyone for your help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well....turns out it's not a 32. Took it to a gun shop and 32 ammo falls right thru the cylinder. 38 split is too long and only goes halfway into cylinder. We tried 380, 9mm, etc...everything is too small in diameter or if it fits, it is fitting under the extractor so that cant be the correct cartridge. Any ideas what it may be? Ot is an iver Johnson serial # 72771. I cant see any caliber specs on the gun. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
Iver Johnson was a decent, but not top of the line, gun company that's no longer in business. Try .38 S&W ammo, unlike .38 special it's tapered & likely the correct round.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
38 S&W...

The 38 S&W cartridge is shorter and fatter than the 38 S&W Special and the two are not interchangable. Some people alter 38 S&W guns by drilling out the cylinder to accept the 38 special cartridge but it's not a good idea.

38 s-w_38 spl_357 mag stamp.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bet that is it! That makes perfect sense and the pic certainly does look like the one that would work
Thank you so much. On another note, I have a brand new box of 32 Longs that I bought and can't use. They did not fit. Lol
Free to a good home.

·
Registered
432 Posts
These Iver Johnsons were indeed made in .32 and .38, and like all topbreaks of that generation the .38 was .38 S&W, never .38 Special. You can’t ream out the cylinder for .38 Special because it is too short.

The reaming only works on the K-frames (Victory British Service models) because their cylinder is dimensioned for the .38 Special/.32-20 and actually too long for .38 S&W.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts