Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26,151 Posts
No pics as mine are all gone now but it was Marantz amplifiers,Altec and Klipsch speakers, Nakamichi tape deck. Was going to add a Crown amp and a Revox reel to reel but kids came along.........and that was the end of that........

·
Read Only
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No pics as mine are all gone now but it was Marantz amplifiers,Altec and Klipsch speakers, Nakamichi tape deck. Was going to add a Crown amp and a Revox reel to reel but kids came along.........and that was the end of that........
I can relate!
Great equipment list.
After 5 children and none living at home now I decided it's time to have some personal enjoyment 😁
Every now and then though my wife, bless her heart, looks around and says what is going on?
I've learned to slowly acclimate her to my personal changes 🤣
Once in a while the proverbial frog says man it's hot in this room!

Have a lovely weekend @Abby'sDad
Bombastic

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Way KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!

Reactions: jeepnut and 54375

·
Read Only
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not in use right now, but I still have a Pioneer QX8000A quadraphonic receiver that I bought new in 1971 when in the Navy! The different types of quad sound are really pretty cool! And all 4 channels still work!
I love the nostalgic signature sound of tubes and also remember the quadraphonic and reverb units though these things were most popular one generation [15 yrs] before my time.

And thank you for your service Area51guy!

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
That's a nice rig. Closest I every got was my Pioneer amp I bought in 1970 while in Vietnam. It stayed with me through Vietnam, Germany, Guam and many stateside assignments. Finally gave out in 2000. Great amp.

I do still have the Pioneer speakers.

·
Premium Member
13,676 Posts
i worked starting in the 1960's as a sound and recording professional, eventually working for a PBS network affiliate in our state. My specialty is live acoustic recording, and I recorded live events for a couple of decades in New York (including West Point US Military Academy), Illinois and North Carolina. I've worked with some well know artists including John Denver, Bonnie Raitt, Duke Ellington, the USMA choir and orchestra, a number of symphony orchestras, choirs and others.

My absolutely favorite audio equipment is the Neumann U-87 Condensor Microphone. I'm lucky enough to have a stereo pair, and used them for decades for orchestral and acoustic recording. I also was honored to be invited to the Newmann research and development laboratory in Berlin a few years ago.

·
Read Only
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i worked starting in the 1960's as a sound and recording professional, eventually working for a PBS network affiliate in our state. My specialty is live acoustic recording, and I recorded live events for a couple of decades in New York (including West Point US Military Academy), Illinois and North Carolina. I've worked with some well know artists including John Denver, Bonnie Raitt, Duke Ellington, the USMA choir and orchestra, a number of symphony orchestras, choirs and others.

My absolutely favorite audio equipment is the Neumann U-87 Condensor Microphone. I'm lucky enough to have a stereo pair, and used them for decades for orchestral and acoustic recording. I also was honored to be invited to the Newmann research and development laboratory in Berlin a few years ago.

View attachment 499711
I'm concentrating more on room treatment at this time. As a sound engineer I'm sure you'd agree that room treatment is as important as gear?

Pretty cool portfolio mrerick. Speaking of symphonies I recently sat above a dozen or so violins from a balcony. Loved that moment and was thinking what I am hearing now is the reference my system is attempting to replicate.

·
Premium Member
13,676 Posts
When you get above a string section, you can hear a rich set of overtones you don't normally hear from out in the audience in front. I like recording from above strings to add into a mix...

Get the room as neutral as possible, and the acoustics of the live recording will become apparent. Listen to this year's 2021 New Year concert from Vienna and you'll hear an outstanding room (without audience for the first time):

Reactions: WendyZXZ and 54375

·
Read Only
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been hooked for years. I have built 4 surround sound systems. Went back to 2.1 channel.
Speakers Sonus Faber Olympica III, Amp Classe Amp 2, Pre-amp Nad C658 and a Velodyne sub. View attachment 499807
I like the curved cabinets, reminds me of Klipsch's Palladiums.
One of the things I do not favor about my Tekton Design speakers is the lack of furniture grade cabinetry.
Nice gear!

·
Premium Member
13,676 Posts
(Dup... see below)

·
Premium Member
13,676 Posts
My brother is more into that than I am.
Looks like he's setup for film scoring among other specialties. Nice. Where's he located? Nashville? Muscle Shoals?
I've been a bit of an audiophile since I was around 8 years old. This is my first piece of audio equipment bought at the local J C Penny's store with the quarters my Grandmother would give me when I visited. Six dollars plus tax. I fell asleep with this under my pillow listening to baseball games many nights.
I actually hand built my first home stereo system one component at a time. Saved my money from working delivering newspapers and as a cashier at the neighborhood drugstore. It was all HeathKit. A preamp, power amp, stereo FM tuner, AR turntable and AR speaker systems. I eventually built a set of Dynaco Dynakit Stereo-70 power amp, and a Hafler classic preamp and seperate FM tuner. I enjoyed building up kits, and the quality was excellent.

A friend was a Quad dealer, so I ended up with Quad electrostatic speakers and power amp when I was in school. My first good pro condenser mics were a pair of AKG 451E mics with cardiod pickup heads. Still got those classics, and used them on hundreds of recording sessions.

I expect my parents like it that their teenage son was into making things like this at home in the basement instead of being out with a gang of kids causing mischief... All that eventually lead to my recording work. I still have an Ampex 440B reel to reel studio recorder for doing tape transfers...

Today, recording is all digital and quite extraordinary compared to work in the past - but the quality of that older work is also quite good...

Here's what a 440B looks like in it's "dog house" case:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Moving past my transistor radio days I had built up a pretty nice system but managed to give it away in a divorce. I did manage to take a Pioneer receiver that I still use. Now instead of one killer system I have moderate systems throughout the house and garage. As I remodeled sections of my house I built in speakers to free up floor space. I complimented the in wall or ceiling speakers with subwoofers in each room. Not ideal but each system produces some nice sound.

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
That's a nice rig. Closest I every got was my Pioneer amp I bought in 1970 while in Vietnam. It stayed with me through Vietnam, Germany, Guam and many stateside assignments. Finally gave out in 2000. Great amp.

I do still have the Pioneer speakers.
I still have my 1968 SX525 Pioneer with some new Polk speakers, and it sounds like new! That's all that I have left of my 'system'. I got rid of the AR turntable, tape player, and the homemade JBL speakers that I had for many years.......and a large record collection. I like to keep it simple, nowadays! ;) Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts