Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has asked me to teach her the rudiments of handgun shooting. Like a fool, I said “Yes.” After a couple of lessons, she graduated to .38 Spec wadcutters. During the course of our work she asked to try my carry gun, a Ruger Speed-Six. Second foolish move, I let her try it. Years ago, I had a former Coastie armorer put a “ carry” trigger on a Model 37 Smith and my Speed-Six. He did an excellent job. While the Ruger ain’t a Smith in the trigger department, IMHO, it does have a smooth, not light, trigger pull. My wife likes it a lot, and now she wants it! Well, love is one thing, but giving up my carry piece ain’t happening. So, I found a Speed-Six on gunbroker. By serial number, a little older, more “ experienced” than mine and with a better trigger than I usually see on Ruger revolvers. Some of us think Bill Ruger went overboard on the “ lawyer trigger” , etc. OTOH, the company still owns itself without too many blood suckers hanging on. I have a set of finger- groove stocks on order to approximate my custom stocks. We’ll see where this goes. I pray I’m out of the woods on this, “I want your piece,” stuff.

·
Registered
22,175 Posts
Well now...that's a great reason to get "another" speed six. Hopefully your wife will like the new addition.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She does! She’s been dry firing quite a bit. Her new Badger stocks shipped this am, she’s like a kid at Christmas! Maybe that takes some of the pressure off of me and my carry piece!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very nice "his and her's" 2.75" Speed Sixes. Now you've got a heavy and standard barrel. I bought two Speed Sixes(2.75" and 3" heavy) in the past year and love 'em both. I got an Azula holster for the 2.75" which fits it well, good quality and not expensive.
IMG_0891 (2).JPG

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stone buster, I like that! Nice holster, maybe I need one of those! I must confess I never knew there was a heavy barrel and a standard. After comparison with my wifes’ piece, I see the difference. Thanks for the lesson! Hank

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I think you were wise to pick up a second....or a third for that matter! I have one in blue finish and I'd like to have another, but what I really want is one chambered for 9mm. They made them, but I've never seen one around for sale. My Speed Six was the first quality handgun I ever purchased and did so when I bought the house I'm in right now, which was nearly 38 years ago, it was for home protection. Sorry for the drift, I'm sure your wife will love hers' and you can have yours' back to enjoy! :)

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BC2- Sorry to say this, but I’ve seen a couple for sale, but had no interest in them. I don’t collect, rather I accumulate. I’m not a big fan of 9 mm, so that killed any interest. Hank

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stonebuster- I haven’t tried them with .357, but I have similar stocks on my Speed-Six. They are very good at distributing recoil. I think the Badgers will be even better, since they’re a little larger and distribute the “push” over a larger area. I’ll let y’all know when I try the Magnum loads. Hank

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Ruger six-series double action revolvers. I like the pre-warning guns. They're very well made and very strong. Love their ease of disassembly, too. My Security-Six is a great shooter. When I bought it, it had some awful looking Pachmayr grips on it. Those rubber things. I found a pair of Ruger factory target stocks and consigned the Pachmayrs to the round file.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Ruger six-series double action revolvers. I like the pre-warning guns. They're very well made and very strong. Love their ease of disassembly, too. My Security-Six is a great shooter. When I bought it, it had some awful looking Pachmayr grips on it. Those rubber things. I found a pair of Ruger factory target stocks and consigned the Pachmayrs to the round file.

View attachment 482378
That's a great looking Security Six and grips. My arthritic hands love the "awful rubber things" on my Speed Six but my eyes, not so much :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts