Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of those that cleans his guns after every range visit and .. I clean my motorcycle after every longish ride and there are two reasons.

First is obviously .. I like my stuff clean! I also think that a gun that you may carry about will need to work in that one instant should you ever have to use it to defend yourself and I believe it has the best chance of doing that clean.

But here is another reason ... Both for my Motorcycle and my gun.

I find issues when I clean.

It came home to me yesterday again. I took a few guns out to play on Saturday. Yesterday I sat down and did a thorough clean of my 642 and then started working on my 686. I was almost done and just putting a bit of wax on my grips when I discovered that my cylinder release was so loose it was about to just fall out. So loose that I am sure it would have skittered off somewhere at my next range visit and then I would be waiting on a new part.

Drop of blue loctite and tighten down with a screw driver but .. I like my plan of cleaning after each use as I have found pins walking out, sights moving on their own and other issues I would prefer not to find out when out hiking in the middle of the desert.

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
I actually lost a cylinder release while shooting my 686 a few years ago. S&W sent me a new one for free. Now I always check the screws. Had a couple work loose on my 625 too

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Among other little issues I had a CZ trigger pin that was very nearly completely out and a rear sight on a Witness that you could push with your finger. Cleaning is the one time you really really look. Forget about all the stuff I have found over the years on my bike where I shook my head and said ..thank you god for letting me discover this in the driveway and not 50 miles from home!

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Good thinking! I also clean my guns after use and I've found loose screws here and there. I do keep a tube of blue Loctite handy. 44 and 45 single actions seem especially prone to shooting screws loose. Lost a blue Colt base pin release screw and spring while shooting ($30 replacement -BTW, if you have a nickel Colt SAA the factory has discontinued nickel base pin screw replacements). I had some Ubertis that were really bad about screws loosening...sold them. Only problem I've found with S&Ws is a couple of loose cylinder release screws.

Forget about all the stuff I have found over the years on my bike where I shook my head and said ..thank you god for letting me discover this in the driveway and not 50 miles from home!
Had the light bar on my bike come loose on a Patriot Guard mission 300 miles from home, screws gone and no stores open. Couple of local guys helped and I made it home with borrowed bungee cords holding it on.
missouri-oklahoma_chelsea-ok-jack_moving-out2xsm.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts