Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Registered Magnum # 675 from a S&WCA pal in California.
He had to sell the gun, and the condition and barrel-length were just what I was looking for.
Strangely, he'd gotten the RM from a guy in Canada...Luckily, it didn't get any defacing 'import' marks on its trip across the border.
I got the gun, the seller sent for a letter on it, and I didn't give it another thought.
Comes the letter and a note from Roy about how the gun's original owner, Victor Lee Emerson, was a friend of Doug Wesson, and there were original letters in the files.
Long story short, RM # 675 was shipped Dec. 20th, 1935.
It came with magnas, service grips and a grip adapter. The rear sight is a King W.O.
Emerson was a famous inventor who lived in Philadelphia. He held patents on the automotive differential (!) and bevel-gear drive, to name a few. His lab was in the basement of his stone mansion.
Emerson's Godfather was Robert E. Lee, hence the middle name 'Lee'.
I wrote an article featuring the hunt for Emerson in a S&W Journal in 2007.
Below are the gun and a photo of Emerson's home.
Enjoy!
Don

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Don,
I remember that story in the Journal..
I was fascinated then, as I am now. Great story.. Thanks!

ps pretty cool RM too! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
onenut58,
The barrel is 8-3/4" long :shock:
Don

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don,

Great gun and great history... I'd sure like to have a gun with a history connected with Gen'l. Lee... :cool:

Excellent article in the Journal too... I was envious when I read it when it came out and now I'm envious all over again.

V/r

Chuck

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ELToro,
Roy very graciously provided me with the letter copies.
He, in fact, mentioned in his original factory letter that Mr. Emerson was a friend of Doug Wesson, and that the letters were in S&W's files.
I've lettered approximately 70 guns, and this is one of TWO that I consider to be 'standout' results.
There is so much work and time involved after you receive a good factory letter.
It's like a part-time job! :lol:
Don

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I love old guns, but old guns with a story and a name behind them. That's even better!

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Don, that is awesome!! I love a great gun with a provenance like that!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love this site. You guys post these stories and photos of guns that are just amazing. I turned 21 in 1987 and bought a model 66 brand new for $300 and thought that was cool. I've always been alittle more interested in semi auto's, I think because of my law enforcement career but, the more I read about these old revolvers the more I'm just fascinated with them. Please keep posting these stories as for those of us who love this stuff, it just doesn't get any better. I would love to get to one of the SWCA meetings some year just to gawk at photo's and hear all the great stories.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Murphyslaw, if your LE career had been just a little earlier it would have most likely been spent with a wheelgun on your side, instead of a bottomfeeder. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know, I know. I started in early 93 and everyone was carrying 5906's which was fine by me. My 5906 always ran great. There were a dozen or so "old" guys who carried revolvers. One had a Colt that he bragged up and down but the S&W wheelguns always won the qualifying competitions. I think I missed the transition by about 2 years or I could have carried one. I carry an M&P 40 now but there's always an airweight j-frame on my ankle and in my car's armrest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don,

That is an awesome story! Victor Lee Emerson was my great great grandfather, and my mother spent several summers at the house in Philadelphia!

I came across this post because my 2nd grader is doing a report on inventors, and in my family we ALWAYS do Victor Lee. My husband, though, will be very interested in your particular story! SO cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Penny

P.S. I would love to see a copy of your journal article.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Penny,
Thanks for your interesting (and gratifying !) post.
That's the kind of thing we collectors live for hpzl;n;
I've forwarded a copy of the article to you.
A warm welcome to you...this forum is populated by some of the nicest folks on the internet, and I hope you enjoy the group.
Don

1 - 20 of 34 Posts