Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this Remington model 12 a few days ago. It has been reblued and the wood refinished, so collector value is nil, but I just wanted a model 12 to shoot. Unfortunately, I missed some issues with it and spent a few hours over three days this week trying to get it to function. I sometimes remember to just walk away for a while when I get frustrated. There was a small burr at 9 o'clock at the chamber and the inner magazine tube was sticky. Cleaned and polished those two things and still could not get reliable feeding. Turns out there was a little burr at the very end of the magazine tube where the bullet is supposed to be picked up by the lifter mechanism. Tear down number 4 or 5, and it still would not feed more than the first round. Two more brain cells kicked in and I decided to take it outside and try real ammo Vs. the aluminum snap caps I had been using to function test. That seemed to turn the trick. A quick range test yesterday and all is mostly well. No issues that were not ammo related. The front sight is so small it disappears against a black bullseye, but with colored versions I can get decent results in the 1" range at 25 yards with standard velocity ammo from an improvised rest. Much happier now and with a companion piece to the Savage 1914 I posted earlier.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Glad you got that old 22 working. I had feed issues with snap caps in a tubular mag too. This was with a LNIB Rossi 92 357 Mag carbine. The snap caps constantly caught up at the end of the mag tube and would not carry up to the chamber. Had absolutely zero issues with real cartridges and that was with lead RN or lead SWC.

John

·
Premium Member
12,308 Posts
Very nice. Great job getting it back "on line".

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you got that old 22 working. I had feed issues with snap caps in a tubular mag too. This was with a LNIB Rossi 22 357 Mag carbine. The snap caps constantly caught up at the end of the mag tube and would not carry up to the chamber. Had absolutely zero issues with real cartridges and that was with lead RN or lead SWC.

John
That is exactly what was happening with the model 12. Hope I can remember next time I have this issue.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Hey Mac,

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Congratulations on the model 12.
I like'em too.

Wood Twig Tree Wire Metal