Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a set of Thai, target style grips on my Highway Patrolman for a few years. Never cared much for the finish they used and I thought I could improve the shape, so I finally got around to doing something about it. Here they are

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Dane axe

Here is a picture after stripping the finish and reshaping the butt end a wee bit
Wood Number Font

Here they are after staining and applying 3 coats of Danish Oil
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

I Wanted them a little darker but the wood is pretty darn hard and didnt absorb much stain. Still, I like them a lot better than the original version and the alteration make them fit my hand better

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Great job! The new look compliments the revolver. (y)

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
Those look very nice. A definite improvement I think and enhance the looks of the gun.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Good job again. Grain shows much better.
Smith target grips that have a little of the "hook" taken off of the front and rear of the bottom on the grip feel much better in my hand.

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good job again. Grain shows much better.
Smith target grips that have a little of the "hook" taken off of the front and rear of the bottom on the grip feel much better in my hand.
That is pretty much what I did to these. I sanded off where the grips kind of flared at the bottom. I also shortened them up about 1/16'. I had to plug then re-drill the grip location pin hole to give a better fit along the backstrap

·
Registered
125 Posts
You did an excellent job, i also think they look better than the originals. On some guns (like yours), i prefer a lighter finish.

·
Super Moderator
14,019 Posts
If you decide to work on them more, consider hand rubbing some boiled linseed oil (I dilute it with Mineral Spirits, and then hand rub in multiple coats). It absorbs into the pores of the wood, but only withe heat of friction from rubbing it in.

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you decide to work on them more, consider hand rubbing some boiled linseed oil (I dilute it with Mineral Spirits, and then hand rub in multiple coats). It absorbs into the pores of the wood, but only withe heat of friction from rubbing it in.
I warmed the grips with a blow dryer before applying the 1st coat of Danish oil. The Danish oil I use contains boiled linseed oil, Tung oil and varnish. I leave it on the wood for about 15 minutes then begin to rub it in vigorously. I actually should do one more coat and after it has sat for 15 minutes and I wipe away anything on the surface I hit it again with a blow dryer to warm and then rub it in good. That will provide a better seal and slightly more sheen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts