Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 62 Posts

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always taught that open carry in an urban setting is dangerous because if you are seen by a criminal about to commit a violent crime or robbery you will likely be one of the first targets... but... this is a new reason to carry concealed:

It's also why I teach that "concealed means concealed"... One of the biggest issues with new students that start concealed carry is that they keep feeling through their clothes for the handgun... It's a very obvious "tell" that someone is carrying - even more than an improperly concealed firearm or the wrong holster.

I always tell them that if they have the right holster, and carry it properly it will still be there, they don't have to feel for it...

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And... Lots (over 8 million) new gun owners without experience or training, and not used to carrying in any mode or form...

Bad guys spend lots of time learning on how to read body language. It's one of the chief decision makers in an attack.

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be clear... 'permitless concealed carry" is a law that would offer the choice of carrying concealed without the permitting process common in so many of our states. Nothing would force you to carry concealed, but everyone would have that option without further government 'permission".

Personally, i carry concealed because I don't want to be identified by a violent criminal, and then become the first one they kill if I happen to walk into their planned incident.

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That 8 million has been widely publicized. It comes from the NSSF.
Taking Stock of Record-Setting 2020 Firearm Year • NSSF
We are seeing our classes fill up very quickly, but we limit the number of students per class (total of 6) so that we can coach them individually and properly. We are not a commercial operation, so don't have to turn profit on the classes.

Not to change the subject, but if you sell everyone new a couple of hundred rounds for their new firearm, ammo demand ADDs 1.6 billion rounds pretty quickly... New shooters either: buy a box and stick it all in the drawer; Go out with a friend or relative and burn 100 rounds or so; or seek out training and burn 100-200 rounds or so...

A minuscule percentage seek out safety and marksmanship training. I got my first training in High School from my Biology teacher who was also our DCM rifle team coach. Those days are long gone. We're trying to re-introduce firearm safety training into our high schools here as an extracurricular activity. Had it in bills for the past few years. So far, no go... The biggest motivator in our state is the qualification for the concealed carry permits. Even including that, I support permitless concealed carry as a fundamental right and choice.

Reactions: 1av8r

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have a couple Kramer holsters. They are outstanding quality - especially the ones in horsehide.

Reactions: Shoebox1.1

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The one thing I don't like about analogies between the Second Amendment and driving licenses is that the Second recognizes a pre-existing God given right, and it's specifically defined as such in the Constitution. Driving is considered a privilege, administrated by the states. These are two completely different levels of concept. Rights versus privileges.

The degree of infringement on the Second Amendment is completely unacceptable - yet has been constantly legislated for close to 100 years. That is why gun owners need to be "done" with any thought of compromise with politicians on this issue. It's why Constitutional "permitless concealed carry" is important nationwide. But this has to be done state by state.

I'm also concerned about nationwide reciprocity legislation from the Federal government only because it sticks the "gun control" nose of the Federal government into the tents of all 50 states where it doesn't belong. It would certainly be more convenient, but it would also establish a precedent that could then be used against gun owners nationwide just like the GCA and NFA have been used to establish a very Deep State centered agency that makes up it's own rules capriciously. It also could be a 10th Amendment issue - injecting Federal control over the states. A better law would make concealed carry legal nationwide and do away with permits all together.

Reactions: cp1969

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Actually, in a study submitted in response to a legislative request in 2013, the NC Sheriff association provided an analysis of flaws in the permit process. At the time, one of the sheriffs let it drop that the processing of a $5 permit to purchase handguns cost them $75 to process. The fees for concealed carry permits are considerably higher, but the background clearance process is substantially the same.

Extrapolated across the entire state, the cost over permit revenue amounted to about $10 million in taxpayer costs over a year.

The real reason for supporting the law is likely related to the multiple patronage job positions a sheriff can hire to handle running the system.

The same thing is likely in states that do the permit processing at a state level, just less pronounced.

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
One time, when waiting at the hospital Lab for some tests, I looked across the room and saw an older gentleman also waiting. He had an unusually large belt buckle. When I looked closer, I realized that mounted in it was a fully functional and very openly visible derringer. Nice...

He was in violation of North Carolina law for having it on the hospital's grounds (it's an educational institution, too) but I had to admire his pluck for openly carrying it concealed in plain sight...

Reactions: msharley

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
There is even a word for it. "Hoplophobia".

Open carry is legal in North Carolina. Around here, and especially in our urban areas, liberal loons suffering this phobia will call police on the sight of a lawfully open carried firearm...

Just another reason why permitless or "constitutional" concealed carry is so important. Why upset them needlessly?

Reactions: msharley

· Super Moderator
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
As a courtesy, I carry concealed so that I am not the first one singled out as a target in a lethal force incident.

Besides, why excite the hoplophobes unnecessarily? They have so many other things to confuse and entertain them than me walking through Walmart...

The serious point is that my carrying a firearm is none of their business... and yes, I was being cynical.

Reactions: msharley and Bob K
1 - 10 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.