Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always taught that open carry in an urban setting is dangerous because if you are seen by a criminal about to commit a violent crime or robbery you will likely be one of the first targets... but... this is a new reason to carry concealed:

It's also why I teach that "concealed means concealed"... One of the biggest issues with new students that start concealed carry is that they keep feeling through their clothes for the handgun... It's a very obvious "tell" that someone is carrying - even more than an improperly concealed firearm or the wrong holster.

I always tell them that if they have the right holster, and carry it properly it will still be there, they don't have to feel for it...

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Opened carried the most of my 16 years as a detective.....never had anyone grab at my pistol.
I carried concealed while flying, transporting convicts. Jest lucky I guess, what with dealing with felons daily.

If folks are going to carry a firearm for personal defense....they should be responsible in controlling that firearm.

Edited to say....

This was my EDC during most of that time.
Thumb break with an internal tensioning.

Revolver pancake....works well concealed or open

////

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
When I open carry (legal here in Michigan) I carry in a holster that has a retention strap over the hammer, always. I don't care for the clip in Kydex (or whatever they are called) holsters, no retention what so ever. Again, having said that, I feel it's better to carry concealed in any urban area which includes Metro Detroit or Grand Rapids or downriver because any firearm in plain sight invites busy body citizens to call LE and report a 'person with a gun is on the street and they have to respond, which takes them from doing their job (protecting the 'citizens against criminal activity, etc' to answering a call because some citizen cannot mind their own business.....

Better to have the weapon concealed but still accessible than in plain sight, unless that weapon is retained by a snap strap. I don't own or ever plain on owning one of those 'quick release' holsters. I want my firearm secured in it's holster, always. Only takes a split second to unsnap the retention strap.

The video is quite misleading. 2 separate firearms. The snatched one with a flush magazine and the one the 'perp' was brandishing with an extended mag. Something fishy there like it was staged for effect.

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Opened carried the most of my 16 years as a detective.....never had anyone grab at my pistol.
I carried concealed while flying, transporting convicts. Jest lucky I guess, what with dealing with felons daily.

If folks are going to carry a firearm for personal defense....they should be responsible in controlling that firearm.

Edited to say....

This was my EDC during most of that time.
Thumb break with an internal tensioning.

////
Won't happen because the retention strap would prevent it. Not to say it would be 100% impossible but, a quick 'snatch' is impossible and the wearer would feel it anyway and take action.
always tell them that if they have the right holster, and carry it properly it will still be there, they don't have to feel for it...
Reminds me of the worn out Mae West cliché ... Is that a pencil in your pocket or are you just glad to see me'..... :p

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Yes Sir........The snap on the front is really a fixed rivet....

Same holster...different Commander

///
Exactly how I holster my Kimber full size OC or concealed. My philosophy is 'unsnap, crackle and POP'. I would never consider one of those 'Kydex molded holsters (or whatever they are called).

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
On the fence with that. Like anything, there is a time and place to. Here in Michigan you can OC anywhere or CC if you have a permit (which I do), but OC can and will be an issue in urban areas with busybody people. Been proven time and time again.

Reactions: Squiggs and jeepnut

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And... Lots (over 8 million) new gun owners without experience or training, and not used to carrying in any mode or form...

Bad guys spend lots of time learning on how to read body language. It's one of the chief decision makers in an attack.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
mrerick,

Not disputing - where do you get your numbers?

8 million?

And now, yes, I'll be a tad contentious: Are you anti-OC?

A lot of folks get their CHL or LTC and never touch their gun again well before carrying was cool...

In general, these new gun owners are probably no less trained or motivated to learn than many others who bought handguns 20 years ago never to bother with further training/practice and the streets haven't run red with blood...so...

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Reminds me of the worn out Mae West cliché ... Is that a pencil in your pocket or are you just glad to see me'..... :p
The Mae West line was "is that a GUN (not a pencil) in your pocket - or are you just glad to see me?"
Which makes it even more appropriate for this board and this discussion :D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I don't open carry.

I don't own or want a bumpstock.

While these things are not for me, I will never oppose them. The left opposes guns, period. Their goal is total ban, confiscation and destruction of EVERY gun in the US that is not in the hands of their precious government. They have never tried to hide it. They have never compromised (unless you call not getting everything they want, this time, a compromise).

WE as gun owners and advocates of the Second Amendment need to take a lesson from their text book. We should never oppose anything that, in any way, form or fashion, infringes on the Second Amendment.

WE have to be as obstinate, unbending and uncompromising as the left is. IF we do not they will win. If we don't all hang together, we shall surely hang separately.

The reason they will win is that they stick together. They all follow the same game plan. They do not vary from that plan. They are patient, unforgiving and ruthless. Unless we adopt the same tactics they will win.

When we debate allowing any infringements and agree to let them have any part of what they want, they have won and WE have lost. Remember: death by a thousand cuts and how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time.

Please remember, gun control is not about guns, its about CONTROL. The left see gun control as one step toward their ultimate goal.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I cannot dispute the contention that carrying a handgun out in the open COULD allow someone to sneak up, rip it off your person and use it against you or others. Yup...COULD happen. Heck...a lot of law enforcement officers who are shot in the line of duty are shot with their own sidearm. These things CAN happen. That said, I'm not about to support disarming cops nor am I going to support disarming citizens. The simple facts are that while it CAN happen, there are a number of states where open carry is practiced but I don't see a lot of crimes committed by people stripping those openly carried sidearms off of their owners. PLEASE...if you're going to go down that road as support for requiring citizens to hide their legal firearm I hope you will provide something more than "coulda happened" for justification.
Legal open carry will allow individuals to make much better choices in the firearm they carry than they are forced to make when "keeping it hidden" is the controlling factor. Yea, Yea, yea...I know...some of you have a full sized government model 1911 or a Glock 17 for everyday carry. Again..I'm sure it CAN be done by some. HOWEVER..I would point out the explosion of marginal sidearm offerings in the marketplace for personal protection that are of necessity designed primarily for concealed carry as evidence that people are making less than ideal choices.
If you're allowed to legally carry a firearm and wish to keep it hidden I absolutely believe you should. I would prefer not to have to hide mine.

·
Registered
21,328 Posts
I have both types of holsters...........open top (no strap) and thumb break. I usually use the open top, for immediate draw from concealment. Less to think about and faster response. The thumb break is for better security of the firearm, when hiking in rougher terrain. Which I don't do anymore........too old. :cautious: Bob

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be clear... 'permitless concealed carry" is a law that would offer the choice of carrying concealed without the permitting process common in so many of our states. Nothing would force you to carry concealed, but everyone would have that option without further government 'permission".

Personally, i carry concealed because I don't want to be identified by a violent criminal, and then become the first one they kill if I happen to walk into their planned incident.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
mrerick,

Not disputing - where do you get your numbers?

8 million?

And now, yes, I'll be a tad contentious: Are you anti-OC?

A lot of folks get their CHL or LTC and never touch their gun again well before carrying was cool...

In general, these new gun owners are probably no less trained or motivated to learn than many others who bought handguns 20 years ago never to bother with further training/practice and the streets haven't run red with blood...so...
That 8 million has been widely publicized. It comes from the NSSF.
Taking Stock of Record-Setting 2020 Firearm Year • NSSF

1 - 20 of 62 Posts